Deutsche Militaer Brigade

Fred Borgmann

What a neat Iron Cross Urkunde. I have never seen one like this issued from Philadelphia, Pa. USA. Is there a date on it?

The certificate is unfortunately not dated, but the Iron Cross depicted on it is the WW1 1914 dated day type, so it would lead me to believe that this certificate was from the 1920s at least.

• 3 months later...
Fred Borgmann

This is not an Iron Cross Urkunde based on the parts of the document that I can read. The society issued this award and is playing on the words to make it look like one. It is an award for aiding the German war effort but as a society they did not have the authority to issue an iron cross award document. Sure wish I could read all the text including what is on the seals. Any chance of a higher resolution photo or scan?

Aha! Fred is right on the money with his analysis. This Urkunde is not a certificate for the Iron Cross medal itself but for a "Nagel". The Nagel is a pin or button which is also referred to as a "Nadel" or stickpin... as in a small lapel pin or button. This is something that can be worn on civilian clothing to indicate the award of the full size medal normally worn on the uniform.

So, this seems to be a certificate for the award of an unofficial miniature lapel, or tie, pin in the form of an iron Cross. Presumably, the recipient would have to already be an official holder of the Iron Cross 1st or 2nd class to receive the pin.

Do you agree Fred? Perhaps you can comment on the seals?

Very neat! I have never seen one of these before.

Now that is cool. Thanks for the info. I found it in Pennsylvania, not too far from Philadelphia and was always confused by the mixed motifs.

Proud Kraut

Sorry, I have to disagree here. An "Eiserner Nagel" is simply an iron nail. This wonderfull Urkunde gives credit to a person who donated money for a Hilfsfond of the Deutschwehr-Verein, an charitable association. This certificate has nothing to do with the iron cross medal or pins. Here are some more informations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_Men

http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/pacscl/ead.html?id=PACSCL_GSP_MsColl28&fq=top_repository_facet%3A%22German%20Society%20of%20Pennsylvania%22&

Fred Borgmann

Thanks Sarge, You are correct in that it is a society award for aiding the German war effort. One of the seals is for the organization to provide relief for the German widows and orphans which was very active here in the states before 1917. The recipient of this award would not as far as I can see have to have had a real Iron Cross. The award is for the society's award pin named in honor of the Iron Cross.

Fred Borgmann

The use of the term nagel if translated too literally means nail. However when the term stock nagel is used it refers to a small plaque nailed to a walking stick. This certificate states "Eisernen Nagel fur das Eisernen Kreuz" which literally means an iron nail for the iron cross. So it is possible that they awarded Mr J.B. an iron nail with this fancy certificate or gave him a symbolic pin similar to those found on walking canes

Fred Borgmann

On second thought this could also be an honorary membership or honor that just exists on paper in the form of this certificate.

Proud Kraut

Kriegsnagelungen "War Nailing" were very popular events in Germany, Austria/Hungary during WW I. They used big wooden objects like knights or iron croses e.g. One could buy nails by donating money. These iron nails were nailed into the objects. Donors (in this case Johann Baust) received a certficate like we have seen here in this post. The purpose was to raise money. As Fred said, this was done to support widows and orphans but also for patriotic/propaganda reasons. Here's a picture of such a nailed iron cross. (Wikipedia). Please search the net for "1. Weltkrieg" & "Kriegsnagelung" or "Nagelbilder" and you'll find hundreds of pictures of these objects and certificates.

Plau_am_See_Marienkirche_Eisernes_Kreuz_(Nagelkreuz).jpg