101st Airborne

bsgt78

Hi,

This patch is a basic one but this is the first time I see this kind of fabric: velvet.

Does it correspond to a specific period or a country made?

post-154530-0-81980300-1444351738.jpg

These type of velvet patches are US made from the mid 1950's through at least the 1960's. They show up a lot on Vietnam War era service uniforms and khakis.

This is a Pentomic era (1956-1965) 101st eagle, which was modeled after the type 8 101st patch. It is US made and was a PX purchased patch. Some units authorized them to be worn on the class A uniform, others did not allow it. There are two styles of this patch the first pattern has no black line on the beak , the second is pictured above. Best Paul

Paul they both have black line between the head the beak.The early one has a different eye and configuration and a narrower black line than the one shown.Great pictures in the Keller brothers book page 77 and 78.Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

I don't own the Keller airborne book, but these are attributed examples from my collection.

The first style with no black border on the beak, from a 501st trooper that was there in 1956 for the reactivation, this is attached to the front of his photo album.

post-512-0-79614400-1445524102.jpg

vintageproductions

I was always told these were made outside of Ft Campbell and sold in the stores there from the mid 50's through the 70's.