Intelligence Medal Info Needed

Mark Costa

There appears to be two different versions of the 1993 authorized National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal. All Government websites and Wikipedia show that medal as having a Star burst in the center of the medal. This is the version that has been awarded to recipients over the last few years. But there also seems to be a version that shows an eagle surrounded by a wreath in the center of the medal. Both medals have the same ribbon and words on the reverse. Does anyone know if the eagle version is an earlier version or a prototype? Thank you.

Mark Costa

post-2602-0-50432600-1444331563.jpg

post-2602-0-48943900-1444331584.jpg

From the pictures of the medals i have seem, i would like to believe that the eagle medal is an earlier issue from what have i seen.

I would guess you are correct.

Sorry but this decoration doesn't look like a US award what so ever.

Wharf

The authority of the ODNI to establish and administer a system of awards (including decorations and medals) is derived from the National Security Act of 1947, as amended; the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004; and Executive Order 12333 (as amended). The National Intelligence Awards Program is spelled out in Intelligence Community Directive Number 655, effective May 23, 1907. This Directive supersedes Director of Central Intelligence Directive 7/IP dated August 15, 1993, which established the now obsolete Intelligence Community Awards.

The National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal recognizes the sustained, selfless service of the highest order, and/or extraordinary and long-lasting contributions to the Intelligence Community and to the United States by an individual in a position of great responsibility. It is open to all US Government civilian and military personnel. The current medal was modified from the original Intelligence Community Distinguished Intelligence Medal, which was its predecessor. The "new" medal is gold in color and is one and five-eighths inches in height and width (overall) and consists of a white starburst of sixteen points surmounted by a gold heraldic rose charged with a dark blue disc bearing a gold compass rose of eight points. The reverse is plain except for the words NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE in four rows, as illustrated in the first type medal, shown above.

Yes, this is a US award and the image showing the medal to General Jones is the current (second) version. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...