The Man from P.E.A.N.U.T.S. ?

Garth Thompson

Japan made for sure. I'd say a party suit/morale patch. Looks like a spoof on the old TV show "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." Might have been used by anyone...

Randy

Patchcollector

I don't think that this has anything to do with being wounded.I believe that Randy nailed it with the Man From U.N.C.L.E analogy.Snoopy is dressed up like a "Spy".

Just a guess,but it may have a connection to a "Spook",or Intel unit.Hard to say at this point.But most likely a generic "novelty" type piece that anyone could have worn,as Randy also stated.

Very nice patch BTW!

Johnny Signor

Could it have been for one of the AF or Army FAC/TASS types as Snoopy was used as mascot for some of those units ..........

I don't think that this has anything to do with being wounded.I believe that Randy nailed it with the Man From U.N.C.L.E analogy.Snoopy is dressed up like a "Spy".

Just a guess,but it may have a connection to a "Spook",or Intel unit.Hard to say at this point.But most likely a generic "novelty" type piece that anyone could have worn,as Randy also stated.

Very nice patch BTW!

I think so too. I wasn't saying he was wrong.I was just throwing out some info. :-)

Is this one even military related? Snoopy is a very popular character. Nothing in the patch makes me think it is military related.

It is Japanese made and I don't think Chuck would approve of Snoopy smoking.I would say 99.9% it is some how military related.I agree with PC some kind of Snoopy spy. Maybe for the Crypto guys on a carrier?

I am not saying this was an official Peanuts patch that would have been sanctioned by Charles Schulz. I am merely suggesting that this could be something other than military related.

Just because a patch is made in Japan, does that make it military related?

Any idea on time frame for this patch?

Johnny Signor

With the word "PEANUTS" being abbreviated by the dots between each letter strike me more of a "military" type of patch than a civy one, PEANUTS would most likely have been just spelled out without the dots on a civy patch ........ it most likely has a meaning and thus why they had the dots there on the patch ......

RustyCanteen

With the word "PEANUTS" being abbreviated by the dots between each letter strike me more of a "military" type of patch than a civy one, PEANUTS would most likely have been just spelled out without the dots on a civy patch ........ it most likely has a meaning and thus why they had the dots there on the patch ......

Actually, the periods are a major part of the joke. U.N.C.L.E. was supposed to be the acronym of United Network Command for Law & Enforcement. Show ran from about '64-67. Season 3 was not very good.

I seem to recall hearing of one of these patches before. Might be in my 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.' book; I'll thumb through it later. I think it was mentioned in passing.

RustyCanteen

I don't see any specific reference to 'The Man from P.E.A.N.U.T.S.' in the book, but it does talk about all the pop-culture parodies made at the time. Archie comics apparently parodied it as 'The Man from R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E.', and Tom & Jerry with ''The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R.". It also goes on to mention that it was parodied in everything from 'The Dick van Dyke Show' to 'I Dream of Jeannie'. It seems very possible this was just another example of that trend. A 'Peanuts' collector might know if Charles Schulz ever parodied it.

I am not saying this was an official Peanuts patch that would have been sanctioned by Charles Schulz. I am merely suggesting that this could be something other than military related.

Just because a patch is made in Japan, does that make it military related?

Any idea on time frame for this patch?

Hi Kat-

I probably have about 20 SEA era Snoopy patches, from the mundane to downright obscene. It's always possible this could be for something else, yet it fits the template of how Snoopy was used for all kinds of morale patches back then. The manufacture is spot on for a 60s/early 70s Japan made patch as well. Again, it could be non-military, but most likely is just another party suit patch that was so prevalent in SEA. If you look at the attached pic, there are a few Snoopys to be seen. The guy in the center has two, including one with him sleeping atop his doghouse. None are overtly military either. Just some food for thought.

Randy

post-8832-0-90218000-1444440601.jpg

Not only was Snoopy a popular character for patches but also pins and books.I have had and have one cruise book from Vietnam where Snoopy is all over the place.He was very popular with pilots, Snoopy vs The Red Baron.

Randy,

I agree that Snoopy was popular with pilots. He was popular with everyone in the 60’s and 70’s. I was a child of the 60’s so I have always been a Snoopy fan. :)

It looks like it is a Japanese-made patch but all kinds of cheap novelties were made in Japan during the 1960s. To say it is a military used patch is faulty logic. It would be more appropriate to say it "could" have found its way into the hands of someone in the military. As you said earlier, it could have been used by anyone but that includes both military and non-military.

...Kat

vintageproductions

This is a mid-to late 1960's Japanese made patch, and is going to be a spoof of some sort of Intelligence unit.

Just like Special Forces using Mad Magazine's Spy Vs Spy.

They were all pop culture icons and were used heavily in military patches during the Vietnam era.

The patch MAY have something to do with this MACV-SOG group. Came across this while looking for something else.

Voice of the Sacred Sword of the Patriots League (VSSPL)[edit]

The Voice of the Sacred Sword of the Patriots League (VSSPL) began broadcasting into North Vietnam in April 1965. The branch responsible for the broadcasts, SOG OP-33, later designated OP-39, purported to be broadcasting from within North Vietnam. Instead, the signal came from a 20-kW transmitter in Thu Duc, near Saigon.

The VSSPL found two main ways of increasing its listenership. First, through the Peanuts project, SOG distributed thousands of radios to the North Vietnamese. They distributed 10,000 in 1968 alone. These Japanese manufactured radios were designed to tune in VSSPL and other American stations while distorting North Vietnamese stations. They were inserted by various methods including reconnaissance teams, air-drops and boats. Second, the VSSPL used a variety of deceptive radio methods to subvert actual North Vietnamese broadcasts. These included "surfing" ("transmitting alongside a real station's frequency"), and "hitchhiking," ("com[ing] up on the same frequency as a real station was signing off and using its call sign").