• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unknown bag (Span Am, Border Wars)?

Need help on this one guys. There are no markings that I can see, except the US. Construction says Span Am era or Mexican Border era to me. Buckles appear to be bronze/brass. It's large. I did not grab measurements, but is probably at least 2ftx2ftx3ft. I am guessing it's for animal or vehicle due to size. There is a strap on each side to close the lid and the straps on the bottom to attach.

Anyone have an ID or guess? I realize without a reference, it looks small in the photos. I can take more photos and get actual measurements if that will help.

Thanks

Ron

post-4121-0-15480000-1444273105.jpg

post-4121-0-83099300-1444273105.jpg

My vices: The American Civil War and earlier US militaria and the Thompson submachine gun...yes, I know that sounds odd.

President, The American Thompson Association

Thompson Collectors Association

Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Michigan Antique Arms Collectors
Sons of the American Legion

Looks like a Squad Surplus Bag adopted round 1910. Each squad had one to carry spare clothing and a squad rifle cleaning kit (tied by leather thongs to the inside of the flap). They were carried on the company transport to the field.

You guys rock. I found some pics and I had the straps all wrong. Squad surplus bag is exactly what this is. Thanks!

Ron

My vices: The American Civil War and earlier US militaria and the Thompson submachine gun...yes, I know that sounds odd.

President, The American Thompson Association

Thompson Collectors Association

Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Michigan Antique Arms Collectors
Sons of the American Legion