HGU 55 helmet

Niki

latest find on the web, i think its a HGU 55 /p with a MBU 12 or 14 .

In what kind of aircraft was this used? F16, F4 ,F15?

Anybody know what the plug in is on the top of the helmet? behind the visor housing.

post-158693-0-24835700-1444240956.jpg

post-158693-0-85167200-1444241033.jpg

Cool score. The mask is an MBU-12/P. The MBU-14/P has a larger communications block on the nose of the mask. I have no idea on the plugs. I have never seen anything like those before.

phantomfixer

The small skinny plug at the end of O2 mask looks like the mic plug for civilian headsets/microphones...maybe a civvy conversion

That is a helmet that was formerly setup for the nuclear flash power goggles. The pltz mount would have been on the dual visor housing for power goggle attachment. Helmet is still wired for it. The second cord on the mask with the narrow plug is the power cord for the power goggles. That helmet would have been used in KC-135 tankers or B-52 bombers etc, not a fighter aircraft.

Many thanks for the great info mohawkALSE.

Difficult question : can i buy power goggles on the internet so i can get my helmet complet?

Yeah they are around, but fairly pricey. $700 or more, and usually has cracks on the lenses. Polaroid made them, called the EEU-2/P. The helmet you have either had the PLTZ mount for the goggles removed or it has a replacement visor housing which is what Im thinking as I dont see any glue residue and the power plug is sticking up out of the top of the helmet. Any of the plug jacks with the blue color are the power goggle wiring.

MQ-1A Oxygen mask and Communication test sets also tested the EEU-2 power goggles. You would plug in your helmet and mask to the test set, then use a SDU-5 strobe light and have it flash at the side of the power goggle and it would simulate the nuke flash. They should darken instantly at the flash of the strobe.