1st Combat Communications Group Patch (Lindsey Air Station, Wiesbaden Germany)

Shotgun Rider

Tim---Still looking for more of Dad's stuff but here are a few things that relate to the topic:

Dad always wore this shop coat when he was working around paints, oils etc and had this patch on it, here is his desk name plate from the 1973 era and finally some Lindsey Air Station memorabilia. Hopefully more to follow.

Al

post-2235-0-24537100-1446822317.jpg

post-2235-0-60786600-1446822333.jpg

post-2235-0-60148000-1446822347.jpg

Shotgun Rider

Wow that stuff is way cool i heard a lot of stories about the rocket club :) that stein and pocket knife is really awesome

I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for the Rocker Club---each month when dad paid his dues, he was given a chit for a free meal--and then in months when he donated blood, he got another meal chit so then he would take the whole family to dinner there---looking back I realize now how underpaid NCOs were in the 1960s but at the time it just seemed like a cool thing that we got to eat out. And one Christmas they even had a show for all the kids and Sheb Wooley performed his big hit Purple People Eater.....damn, ...good times...

Wow that stuff is way cool i heard a lot of stories about the rocket club :) that stein and pocket knife is really awesome

• 6 years later...

1 COMM 1 CISG

I was assigned to 1 COMM in January 1985,  working in D15,  the big building in the back corner of Lindsay ASN . 

In 1986,  the powers that be thought that Combat Comm was too aggressive,  and needed to be softened for the new Air Force. So,  Combat Information Systems Group came out in its place . 

The red,  white,  and blue patch was hard to come by even in 1986,  with the phasing out of the fatigues in favor of the new BDU camouflage battle dress uniform,  the new subdued patch took over  

Lindsay ASN was in fact,  a German Supple point in WWII,  my room mate Russ McNamee was really in to the history and managed to find some old photos he turned in and were hanging in the command headquarters. Photos included the Hindenberg flying over the command building and Panzer Tanks sitting in the 1 COMM vehicle compound would be. 

img012.jpg

Belgium_Florennes_007.jpg

The Combat Crew badge was earned after taking a four week mobility training course enhanced by MSGT Giesen. In that course,  we learned first aid,  CPR,  basic triage,  survival in the different climates that 1 COMM was likely to encounter,  desert,  woodland,  and arctic. Mobility,  means vehicles,  lots of vehicles,  to include driving with a gas mask,  fun stuff. 

Darmstadt Deployment_002.jpg