1st Combat Communications Group Patch (Lindsey Air Station, Wiesbaden Germany)

Shotgun Rider

Shotgun Rider

Hi everbody,

Ive been trying to find patches of the 1st Combat Communications Group that was stationed at Lindsey Air Station in Wiesbaden, Germany during the late 70´s and 80´s.

I live in Wiesbaden right around the corner of the former Lindsey Air Station. My dad was stationed here during the 80´s and i was always fascinated by the soldiers, trucks and all the armed forces stuff going on here. Now i am trying to set up an 1st Comm impression for public displays and try to find all the patches i need. I have a folder full of pictures from the 70s till 1993 when they shut down lindsey and gave it back to the germans. One detail i always see is a blue ballcap most guys wore with the number 1 patch on it, ive been searching for almost 3 years and just cant find that patch. If anyone can help me and has one or knows someone who would part with it please let me know since this is quite important to me.

Thanks so far

-Timothy

post-160348-0-49582300-1444157444.png

post-160348-0-05370000-1444157473.png

Ei gude, Timothy & welcome to the USMF!

THIS thread really caught my eye. I handled dozens of those patches and I always thought the "1- Comm" patch was related to "community" or the like. Never thought that this is a unit patch. Thanks for posting some more background informations!

Lars

Still have a similar one in the scrapbox. Obviously I mixed something up; it's "CISG" instead of "COMM". Are these insignia somehow related?

1cisg.jpg

Shotgun Rider

Gude Lars :D

thanks for welcoming me, im glad at least someone knows what im talking about. Those patches are absolutelty rare, my guess was nobody collects them or threw them away since everybody thinks its something civilian and uninteresting... Yes that patch is related to the 1st Comm i have to look it up though. I have seen the ones saying CISG before.

Patchcollector

That red white and blue "1"looks like a "take" on a Harley-Davidson design I once saw.I'll throw out a few guesses as to what the letters stand for.Perhaps the "CISG" may stand for "Communication Intel Security Group"?Or maybe "Communication Information Service Group"?

Makes you wonder how many of these patches were later tossed by people who didn't realize they were military and thought they were a motorcycle thing instead...

That red white and blue "1"looks like a "take" on a Harley-Davidson design I once saw.

Thanks for the hint, PC! Your referring to this patch, right?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Harley-Davidson-Patch-Aufnaher-No-1-Biker-MC-Harley-Kutte-Chopper-Sportster-/381427275500?hash=item58ced656ec

The unit's patch was obviously "influenced" by this design...

Patchcollector

Thanks for the hint, PC! Your referring to this patch, right?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Harley-Davidson-Patch-Aufnaher-No-1-Biker-MC-Harley-Kutte-Chopper-Sportster-/381427275500?hash=item58ced656ec

The unit's patch was obviously "influenced" by this design...

Looks like we both posted at the same time :lol:

Yes that's the one I was thinking of.

Shotgun Rider

Makes you wonder how many of these patches were later tossed by people who didn't realize they were military and thought they were a motorcycle thing instead...

Its a shame... thats what probably happened to most of the patches and the ball caps. If i would know the dimensions of this patch i would get some cut edge repros made but well i can only guess....

34sp4t1.jpg

196tc0.jpg

312ebra.jpg

Air Force Communications Service units wore blue baseball caps. I wore one with the letters "AFCS" and one with "Third Mobile" on a patch on the front. I was in the 3rd Mobile Communications Group (Third Herd) in the late 1960's and again after I came back from Korea. The 1st Combat Communications Group was the 1st Mobile Communications Group at that time based at Clark AB, in the Philippines. They sent personnel to Vietnam for 89 day temporary duty tours, that way they were not counted in the number of American personnel in Vietnam. I was supposed to go to the 1st Mob but but got orders to an island off the coast of China that closed before I got there. Waited in Taiwan for three weeks ending up in Korea and at times worked with guys from the 1st Mob there. They have an interesting web site with all kinds of information.

Shotgun Rider

Air Force Communications Service units wore blue baseball caps. I wore one with the letters "AFCS" and one with "Third Mobile" on a patch on the front. I was in the 3rd Mobile Communications Group (Third Herd) in the late 1960's and again after I came back from Korea. The 1st Combat Communications Group was the 1st Mobile Communications Group at that time based at Clark AB, in the Philippines. They sent personnel to Vietnam for 89 day temporary duty tours, that way they were not counted in the number of American personnel in Vietnam. I was supposed to go to the 1st Mob but but got orders to an island off the coast of China that closed before I got there. Waited in Taiwan for three weeks ending up in Korea and at times worked with guys from the 1st Mob there. They have an interesting web site with all kinds of information.

Thats awesome, did you guys just get some random blue baseball caps back then or was it a specific brand? I got most of my informations from the 1st Mob page they have all those awesome pictures from lindsey air station.+

By the way i was lucky, i found a guy in germany who mailed me and told me he had these for sale :D

35bt3dl.jpg

Does someone know whats the small bar above the name tape of the left guy?

Looks like a USAF Combat Crew badge. Mostly you see them on aircrew members. It was a qualification award IIRC and not to be worn permanently. It was phased out in the 90s I believe.

Randy

Looks like a USAF Combat Crew badge. Mostly you see them on aircrew members. It was a qualification award IIRC and not to be worn permanently. It was phased out in the 90s I believe.

Randy

If I remember right you would also be awarded the Combat Readiness medal.

Tim---my dad was the 1st Sgt (USAF-type) for the joint service Comm unit on Lindsay from 1970 to 73----I'll look this weekend to see if I can find any picture of him in uniform and also through some of his patches to see what's there. Lindsay was a neat place and I did work study there with the Civil Engineers when I was in high school...and worked evenings in the Library there---It had been a German Army stable and still had the troughs behind the book shelves and rifle racks in the halls.

Al

Shotgun Rider

Randy

Thanks a lot thats what it is :)

Tim---my dad was the 1st Sgt (USAF-type) for the joint service Comm unit on Lindsay from 1970 to 73----I'll look this weekend to see if I can find any picture of him in uniform and also through some of his patches to see what's there. Lindsay was a neat place and I did work study there with the Civil Engineers when I was in high school...and worked evenings in the Library there---It had been a German Army stable and still had the troughs behind the book shelves and rifle racks in the halls.

Al

Hi Al,

thats awesome, i knew the whole compound used to be wehrmacht and ss area before. I usually do Vietnam Living History and Reforger but always wanted to portray at least one unit that served in my town and since lindsey is right around the corner i choose the guys from the 1st Mob. I would be really thankfull for any pictures and further details

Tim--I started the search this weekend but without much luck---I found lots of his stuff but little from 1959-63 or 1969-73 period when he was stationed at Lindsey--I did find a few things and will photograph them and post here shortly but will continue the search.

Al

Thanks a lot thats what it is :)

Hi Al,

thats awesome, i knew the whole compound used to be wehrmacht and ss area before. I usually do Vietnam Living History and Reforger but always wanted to portray at least one unit that served in my town and since lindsey is right around the corner i choose the guys from the 1st Mob. I would be really thankfull for any pictures and further details

• 3 weeks later...
Shotgun Rider

I finally found a geniune full color 1 Comm Patch :D Now i just have to get my hands on a blue ballcap that looks right and im set.

xljwuc.jpg