Warning: Mislabeled Boonie hats on ebay

FYI
Word of warning guys. Thanks to a heads up from a fellow collector​, i found that the ERDL boonie I was trying to sell is a mislabeled smaller hat. The label says 7 1/4, but when I actually measured it, it only measured approx 53~54cm, which is more like 6 3/4. I found one on ebay that look suspect.
pictures of the one I got
medium.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

Seller added this to the product description now. "NOTE these are being sold as a collectible item, not for actual usage. Size seems to run smaller than the tag, probably due to shrinkage after 45+ years of storage."

SHRUNK FROM 58CM TO 54CM? hmmmmm sounds like he's trying to cover his tracks....

I found 4 unissued 6 3/4 hats still in the original sealed plastic bags in antique malls in Seattle. Did a hoard of un-issued ones turn up recently? I am guessing some enterprising individual found selling 6 3/4 hats is very hard to do :).

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Which one Bob?

This one I believe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unissued-Vietnam-Era-ERDL-Camo-Boonie-Hat-Size-7-1-8-/371462067562?hash=item567cdd556a

From the seller with all the cool stuff.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

So, I asked the above Seller to measure the inside circumference of the boonie hat. This is his reply, "they run small i know that. so if you are looking to use it you

might want to pass.all these camo hats are like that. thanks" ....yeah, no thanks....

• 1 month later...

bump up, since I still see these listed on ebay.

I don't know what happened to my picture links, but here's a picture of the suspect tag. Looks like a bad laser print on a nylon sheen tag. Original should be cotton.

large.jpg

• 6 months later...

I was suckered too. I bough a camo Boonie and a olive drab OG107 Boonie from the same ebay seller that sells super flags. Both had the original cloth FSN labels removed and re-sewed on were cheap white plastic labels that had a 7 1/4 size on both. By the way, the fake labels had a lighter color thread oversewed to the original hat seams. The OD Boonie was actually a 6 5/8 and the camo was a 6 3/4 sizes when measured. The FSN number was conveniently left off the plastic labels on both and the DSA dates 68 on one and 69 on the other. Both hats did have original looking cloth cleaning instruction labels in the top. The hats do look like originals to me but for a few dollars more ebay has other hats correctly sized and cloth labeled with FSN numbers. If the date & size labels are fake are the hats fake too? I noticed the ebay repro Boonies have exactly the same ventilation metal grommets as the originals. I did notify the seller his hats were fraudulent and shipped them back for a refund today. It was difficult to tell the label material until I had them in hand. ebay buyers beware.

• 3 weeks later...