My Max Show Finds

Sparty On

Regarding the 89th ID/29th ID group, here is the enlistment record for Norman A. Lund, who must have been the 89th ID soldier: http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=1&cat=WR26&tf=F&sc=24994,24995,24996,24998,24997,24993,24981,24983&bc=,sl,fd&txt_24995=norman+a+lund&op_24995=0&nfo_24995=V,24,1900&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=3122374

And his brother, apparently, is Henry A. Lund: http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=1&cat=WR26&tf=F&sc=24994,24995,24996,24998,24997,24993,24981,24983&bc=,sl,fd&txt_24994=32319851&op_24994=0&nfo_24994=V,8,1900&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=2943943

SSG Henry A. Lund served in I Company, 115th Infantry. He joined the 29th Division from the Repo Depot on 12 OCT 1944, was promoted to SSG on 5 NOV and evacuted to a hospital on 19 NOV as a non-battle casualty, returning to duty on 25 NOV. His MOS was 653: Squad Leader.

The helmets in the photos, which if they are the 29th Division are likely at Ft. George G. Meade, MD, would be US M1917A1's and not Brit.

Based on the ribbons on the other broken bar, it would seem the middle ribbon would be a discolored American theater ribbon, and the one to the left is actually a Bronze Star ribbon. It's a terrific set, with dog tags and combat leader stripes to really add some zing. I'd say the ribbon bars are worth restoring if the uniform gets a good cleaning to slow down any further damage.

All in all, some wonderful finds.

Based on the ribbons on the other broken bar, it would seem the middle ribbon would be a discolored American theater ribbon, and the one to the left is actually a Bronze Star ribbon. It's a terrific set, with dog tags and combat leader stripes to really add some zing. I'd say the ribbon bars are worth restoring if the uniform gets a good cleaning to slow down any further damage.

All in all, some wonderful finds.

Thanks! You are correct it is a bronze star not silver star. I need to pay closer attention when I am typing. I was thinking the American theater ribbon was what the middle ribbon resembled most.

Any suggestion on having it cleaned?

That 29th grouping is outstanding. I would be proud to have that in my collection, I bet you are very proud to display that. Just a great Ike.

Nice stuff! Would it be possible to see the inside of that M1917A1? Is there a manufacture's stamp on the inside rim of the helmet? Thank you.

Inside of the helmet

post-104736-0-38367900-1444095737.jpg

post-104736-0-05285900-1444095747.jpg

The photographs just came up, the helmet liner is Canadian and there will be a date and manufacture's stamp on the inside rim of the helmet as well. Too bad the chin-strap has been replaced.

So did that MK II see U.S. use, or was it just something you picked up?

This is the same helmet that came with the group. My guess it's something the veteran picked up for whatever reason.

USMC-RECON0321

That would be my guess, just a souvenir brought home by one of the brothers or could've even been a surplus Army helmet laying around that just got thrown in the "Army trunk" by the surviving family, thinking it must belong there. No way to ever know unless someone from the family remembers being told a story about it?

Great grouping Mike. That was an exciting find to see walk in the show!! Nice to know these trunk groupings are still out there.

Troy

Hope you didn't pay too much on that Bomber Baron's grouping, that was for sale at the Baltimore show Sept. 26th. She wanted $500.00+ & I passed on it.

Hope you didn't pay too much on that Bomber Baron's grouping, that was for sale at the Baltimore show Sept. 26th. She wanted $500.00+ & I passed on it.

She had the same price on it but paid below what's she was asking.

USMC-RECON0321

What does that have to do with anything?? Pointless & unnecessary comment! Any of this stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay and each collector decides what that price is on his or her own. What one collector thinks is overpriced, another may jump at that price. We see it all the time; Uniform collectors think helmet collectors pay crazy prices for helmets, or visa-versa, or the same could be said about medal or patch collectors and so on.

She had the same price on it but paid below what's she was asking.

I had limited funds with me & for some reason the dealer did not want to come down in price at the time I was at her Baltimore Show table. Was glad to see Sparty On was able to obtain the same Bomber Baron's grouping at the MAX Show for a lesser price.

Any suggestion on having it cleaned?

The biggest problem from being in a damp footlocker for so many years will be the mildew that inevitably formed on it. That might warrant a good dry-cleaning, so long as the cleaners know well before they start that it's a potentially fragile garment, and that you don't want anything done to it beyond the mildew removal. There have been a few horror stories on here of people bringing a coat to the cleaners, where they stripped all the patches off of it. A rare instance, but better to address it ahead of time rather than risk something happening. There might be a few other methods to use, from putting it in the dryer or out in the hot sun for a few hours followed by a thorough vacuuming, but you can research those on here or elsewhere on the web.

Good luck with cleaning it up. It will be nice to see it back in decent shape and not balled up in a footlocker. As mentioned, it might be nice to make up a set of Wolf-Brown ribbons and replace them in the original pin holes since the original set might be a bit too far gone to save, and put the originals in a riker case. You also might be able to remount the loose ribbons on a replacement bar and keep it all together.

• 3 weeks later...