A-2 Jacket of Lt. Dick Covault, CBI

Brian Keith

Sometimes you just have to buy something at the auction! I don’t really go to many auctions, but came across the sale ad for this estate sale featuring this A-2. The veteran passed in 1984, and his wife passed earlier this year. The auctioneer found this coat hanging in the closet. I was successful in purchasing the jacket, and about 60% of his photographs. Most other military things went to the four winds (wings, yearbooks, binoculars, cameras). I got in deep in the jacket, so dropped out on most other things. I was pleased that the auctioneers put the jacket up first of the militaria, that is what was the key of the group.

The A-2 features the classic CBI leather “Blood Chit” on the back, leather CBI SSI on the right shoulder and most of the AAF decal on the left shoulder. It never had rank or a name tab. It is still nice and soft, not really suffered from age or poor storage, a couple of holes in the cuffs and waist, but not serious.

Information that I have gleaned is that Covault went through flight training at Sedalia Army Air Field later in 1943 and did some training at Freeman Field in Columbus, Indiana. Later, served mainly at the Shanghai Air Depot in Shanghai, China late in 1945.It appears he spent some time in North Africa, and India. He flew C-47’s and C-46’s mostly. I’ll post a few WW II photos of Covault wearing his A-2 also.

Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-23193000-1443928165.jpg

post-1549-0-44644700-1443928973.jpg

post-1549-0-87690900-1443929073.jpg

Covault with his friend "Chang" and wearing his jacket in China. The "Crusher" was not in the sale. probably lost many years ago.

BKW

post-1549-0-72722000-1443929614.jpg

post-1549-0-51370200-1443929677.jpg

Thanks for your comments guys! I'm glad you like it also. I got into it a bit heavy, as they say, you didn't over pay, you just bought too soon!

BKW

"Getting in deep" seems to be a common ailment with a lot of us. But... you're the one who took it home, so you win. Maybe next week you find a steal out there somewhere - I think it all sort of balances out in the end.

Thanks for your comments Sundance, I did get a 1944 dated, AN-5743-1, 8 Day Aircraft clock made by Waltham Watch Company for $1 towards the end of the sale, by that time, the military collectors had left.

BKW

doinworkinvans

Absolutely fantastic piece - glad you could keep some of it together. You might could track down the other and reunite them all.

Gorgeous jacket - congrats!

Thanks for all the good comments, makes the sting of writing the check feel better.

Beast: yes, He was from Bluffton, IN. One of the reason's I went deep, he was pretty local to the Museum.

Doingworkinvans; My pockets weren't deep enough to purchase all his militaria, I did what I could and still stay married!

BKW

Thanks for all the good comments, makes the sting of writing the check feel better.

Beast: yes, He was from Bluffton, IN. One of the reason's I went deep, he was pretty local to the Museum.

Doingworkinvans; My pockets weren't deep enough to purchase all his militaria, I did what I could and still stay married!

BKW

Glad it's going to a good home!

• 3 months later...