USMC P1912 Winter Service Uniform & Group. 5th Brig. 8th MG Co. Cpl. J.J. Prendergast

nchistory

Thanks Duke, I know he has more, I just know it.... Honestly, tired of compromising principles to put this together. Tired of dealing with a dishonest person, wears on you... Another collector is helping me get the EGA disks, and restore the top ribbon bar. I know he has RPPC's, but communication is the pits. I'm done with him............ Just a bad experience from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...
BILL THE PATCH

Chris,

I am not usually a fan of restoration (although museums do it with artifacts worth hundreds of thousands every day) but I honestly might consider it in this case. The base of the patch itself is in great shape. Using an x-acto knife could carefully remove the star and replace it with an original hand painted, hand sewn version. Someone skilled with a needle and tread could put the replacement star on using the original holes (on the star) and honestly. no one would ever know. I know everyone will feel differently about this, I get it, but in this case it is something I would consider. 

I played around with it a bit just to see what it might look like. It would still be Prendergast's original patch and a original star/indian from the period. 

I agree, restore it to its former glory.

Thanks Bill, guess I'd have to find the silk painted star that would fit. Maybe someone has an original with a bad background they would be willing to part with at a reasonable price.

No luck on medals and helmet. Still following up..

Good luck Chris, you've done pretty well scraping the rest of it together from him. Glad you were able to gather it up.

What an amazing thread!!! I think the stuff/artifacts are great, but the pictures with his handwritten descriptions open the door further to his story! I've fought these long drawn out battles to put groups back together many times myself- it's part of the adventure as collector/historians, and I admire your determination. Thanks for sharing the details of a remarkable success for posterity!

David

Thank you for your reply David, it's all in honor of Cpl. Prendergast and his service. I just received his service record from St. Louis, will be posting when time permits..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Chris,

I am not usually a fan of restoration (although museums do it with artifacts worth hundreds of thousands every day) but I honestly might consider it in this case. The base of the patch itself is in great shape. Using an x-acto knife could carefully remove the star and replace it with an original hand painted, hand sewn version. Someone skilled with a needle and tread could put the replacement star on using the original holes (on the star) and honestly. no one would ever know. I know everyone will feel differently about this, I get it, but in this case it is something I would consider.

I played around with it a bit just to see what it might look like. It would still be Prendergast's original patch and a original star/indian from the period.

Well, he sure as hell can't restore it now. You guys have created a legendary grouping that has it's own story and history, and it would probably detract from the value of it if it were restored!