USMC P1912 Winter Service Uniform & Group. 5th Brig. 8th MG Co. Cpl. J.J. Prendergast

nchistory

Duke, you as well as a few others suggested it might be cut. Although the portion is similar to a square, I'm trying to get my head around the logic of someone cutting out Indian leaving part of the face? Anything could have happened, could have gotten snagged on something, it's all speculation, we will never know. Kind of like we will never know exactly what Jay had.

post-153086-0-87039200-1444150754.jpg

Chris,

I am not usually a fan of restoration (although museums do it with artifacts worth hundreds of thousands every day) but I honestly might consider it in this case. The base of the patch itself is in great shape. Using an x-acto knife could carefully remove the star and replace it with an original hand painted, hand sewn version. Someone skilled with a needle and tread could put the replacement star on using the original holes (on the star) and honestly. no one would ever know. I know everyone will feel differently about this, I get it, but in this case it is something I would consider.

I played around with it a bit just to see what it might look like. It would still be Prendergast's original patch and a original star/indian from the period.

8 co.jpg

Duke, you as well as a few others suggested it might be cut. Although the portion is similar to a square, I'm trying to get my head around the logic of someone cutting out Indian leaving part of the face? Anything could have happened, could have gotten snagged on something, it's all speculation, we will never know. Kind of like we will never know exactly what Jay had.

attachicon.gifIMG_6286.JPG

Some six year old kid tried to cut it out and that was the best they could do IMO.

That looks GREAT ERIC! I'm not into restoration, but I had and expert? offer if I needed help. I have a friend Will Gorges, hi wife Lynn is a textile conservationist in Newbern that does an outstanding job on Civil War uniforms and flags, might run by them.