USMC P1912 Winter Service Uniform & Group. 5th Brig. 8th MG Co. Cpl. J.J. Prendergast

nchistory

Wasn't aware WW1 Marines used the web-belt, but one was in Cpl. Prendergast's locker, and I see the 8th Co. are wearing them in the Antrim photo. White or Tan?post-153086-0-36990800-1443977195.jpgpost-153086-0-25195800-1443977211.jpg

Steven Girard Chris, He was assigned to the 8th MG Co. 5th Marine Regiment on June 21st, 1918 and participated in the later half of the Battle of the Aisne, (Belleau Wood), the Aisne-Marne Offensive, (Soissons), the St, Mihiel Offensive, the Battle of Blanc Mont Ridge, The Meuse-Argonne Offensive, and with the 3rd U.S. Army Occupation of the Koblenz Bridgehead, Germany in 1919.. As far as i know, there's no official unit history on the 8th MG Co. since they were a Regimental asset and would fall under the 5th Marine Regiment.

The coveted 8th MG SS!. Much discussion was had in reference to if cut or insect damage. I feel certain it was insect, as part of face and headdress still present. Star painted silk, and what a beautiful patch it would be if still 100%.

attachicon.gif!cid_6F262266-DE09-4E5D-B87C-1910FDF9B241.jpg

100% that patch has been purposely cut IMO. Too bad such a rare piece has been destroyed.

The following pics are of Cpl. Prendergast's Model 12/17 visor cap for his FG's. It's sized 7 1/8th, and no other markings other than his ID. First ID Cpl. JP, then later he marked over that writing JJ Pren.

post-153086-0-90275600-1444059417.jpg

100% that patch has been purposely cut IMO. Too bad such a rare piece has been destroyed.

Hey Chris

I'm with Eric on this... the patch has a rectangular shape to the missing piece. If insects did it, they'd have eaten the felt below the indian head as well IMO.

Did you get the other smalls, Iron Cross, damaged German Belt buckle, extra EGAs?

The Croix de Guerre accolade or the three translated orders for the 8th MG Co?

His Good Conduct Medal transmittal letter?

Glad you got the dog tags, I didn't know the seller had those.

Congrats

D

Hey Duke,

I got some of the stuff, but as suspected not all of it. I help him accountable, and another box is to go out today. This is the third box, not holding my breath. He swears now that most of this stuff belongs to someone else, IE 2nd Class Iron cross, etc. HG says the CDC document going out today, with German buckle, ega's, cig case & wallet. I did receive dog-tags which are a bonus, pants, sweater (although I don't think red-cross knitted), has remains of tag. I received a leather doc. holder with initials, service cert, m-12 belt, buckle for web belt, buckle for Sam Browne belt, ribbon (victory), visor cap, ega. I also got a scarf, 2 post war photos, 3 war time photos in FG's (by the way, none are 8x10), and some documents which included his Cpl. warrant as blacksmith.

What 8th MG orders are you referencing? Haven't seen those. I held his hands to the fire, praying something goes out today. I realize I'm on borrowed time, and dealing with the devil.

I will be posting more pictures as time permits..