Choo! Choo!

Allan H.

I know there are a few "rail heads" out there who are more than just a little loco, so I figured I would satisfy their hunger for military related rail power.

These locomotives operate at FT Riley, KS, home of the Big Red One. Both engines are similarly painted and marked except for the insignia for the First Infantry Division appears on the side of one of them. People would be amazed at the amount of military equipment that is moved by rail. You won't see these locomotives off post unless they are being sent to a shop for maintenance. They only operate in the Camp Funston area shuttling railcars to the various railheads.

Allan

post-151-0-97680700-1443727452.jpg

post-151-0-73882300-1443727464.jpg

USAX 6504 and 6511 are both National Railway Equipment built 3GS21B gensets. The 6504 was built in 2008 and the 6511 in 2012. These are low emissions hybrid locomotives that use three Cummins 700hp engines to generate power that is then stored in a bank of batteries for use by the traction motors.

Congrats to B229 for identifying himself as a "train nerd." :lol: These locomotives are pretty cool to see in action. I see them often and never knew they were low emissions hybrids, which I think is FANTASTIC!

The locomotives are operated by Department of the Army Civilians. The vehicles on the railcars are normally loaded and unloaded my military personnel with contractor supervision. Loading and unloading of CONNEX boxes is done exclusively by contractors.

Allan

Allan, you've been on a roll lately with some great posts!

Neat stuff here; who doesn't like seeing big RR engines? :)

Thanks again for interesting reading.

Terry

Congrats to B229 for identifying himself as a "train nerd." :lol:

Guilty as charged. But since I'm on a forum for "military nerds", I don't feel too guilty!

Thanks for posting the photos!