USAAF Type B2 ground crew trousers

littlebuddy

Recently purchased these ground crew pants , i hadnt seen any before ,and was a little sceptical about there use .Has anyone seen any period photos of these being worn at all please ?

post-106122-0-08572800-1443726511.jpg

post-106122-0-48066900-1443726555.jpg

phantomfixer

Way cool...have not seen the B2 before...but they look very similar to the current USAF parka pants with the two thigh pockets.....as far as use...there are many pics on the net showing maintainers in winter garb....not so clear on if they are the B2 or A series winter pants

I am sure they were used on the ground and most likely in flight...the only draw back for inflight use, is getting out of them quick enough if ditching....as you know there were no strict boundaries between flight gear and ground crew gear

great score....

Way cool...have not seen the B2 before...but they look very similar to the current USAF parka pants with the two thigh pockets.....as far as use...there are many pics on the net showing maintainers in winter garb....not so clear on if they are the B2 or A series winter pants

I am sure they were used on the ground and most likely in flight...the only draw back for inflight use, is getting out of them quick enough if ditching....as you know there were no strict boundaries between flight gear and ground crew gear

great score....

Thanks :) , the pockets do not look as big as the "flight pants" pockets , but i think the lining of Alpaca is still the same as the A9 through to the A11a pants

Yes, i wonder how many pairs were actually used onboard ? would be interesting to find any pics to confirm this .

Now all i need to do is find the matching D2 parka ! :blink:

LB

phantomfixer

so is the 44 the year of the contract? has been hard finding photos of USAAF maintainers with these pants...maybe too late in the war? shoulda/coulda been used in the winter of 45...which was the coldest recorded up to then? I see a lot of the shearling pants and D1 jackets...tons of the HBT coveralls and A-3 caps...

I have two of the caps...one in mint condition and one real salty one...love the caps....

will keep looking for ground guys though...wearing these pants

• 1 year later...

That's correct, 44- is the contract year. I remember a web site that listed what jackets were in tended what trousers. You might want to look for that.