Redding CA Goodwill stop

easterneagle87

Manchu Warrior

Do they usually separate the uniforms from other clothing or is this a Halloween rack? Just asking because all the so called thrift stores around here no longer put these kinds of items out for Halloween. They just have racks and racks of new kiddie costumes and no longer anything that is remotely vintage. This is how bad its getting. I was so overly excited the other day when I found two XL brand new never washed polypro tops for $5.00 a piece. And that excitement was just for the practical use I can get out of them. Simply because the ones that were issued to me seem, for some unknown reason, to fit a little tighter these days. They have also become somewhat melted and crusty. With that said I also get excited when Winter rolls around and they put all the coats back on the racks. Because I know that that illusive WWII tanker jacket is hiding somewhere on those racks. Dang, I just realized that I truly live a pretty boring life. Well, got to go make my rounds before the thrift store all close!!

More there than 10 years worth in our GW.

same here..

Iowa Goodwills must suck.

I've heard the one here in town has someone that buys anything military from them by the pound on pallets.

-Brian

easterneagle87

These are on the "Halloween" rack and they only do this AUG 31 till NOV 1. This is part of my annual warning order to go grab what you can! I have sent my "old Man" note to the area boss about it sucks to have to wait all year before they put out uniforms. He said he'd take it under consideration, but haven't seen the "consideration yet and that was 2 years ago.

The Choco's are X-Small. There was one shirt and 2 pants. I think they were $7 ea. IF any one see's something they want. just PM me. I enjoy the bird doggin'.

same here..

Iowa Goodwills must suck.

I've heard the one here in town has someone that buys anything military from them by the pound on pallets.

-Brian

Hadnt heard that before.Maybe they have a different area policy there.

Some have contacts in good will who pick it and get it here.One person was fired for this a while back.They were filling bags while sorting then setting them aside and buying them.

easterneagle87

The first picture DCU was a set of tanker coveralls. They are gone. The second picture show what was available 2 days ago. No multi-cams. The odd USMC thing is a oversized kids costume.

My Goodwill's never have anything. I use to hit a few "for profit" thrift stores and they were awesome!. I had several trips where I would visit the uniform rack and have to get a shopping cart to haul everything out. Mostly patched BDU's, DCU's & modified tops as-well. And the prices were great. Those days are long gone. That was only 2 years ago. They have gotten on the no patched uniform bandwagon. It is hard to tell what they are sending to the rag mill, but based on my past finds, it has to be good stuff.

Most of the non-profit thrift stores in my area (excluding SA and GW) reserve military uniforms and accouterments for silent auctions, regardless of age. They've definitely caught on that they'll fetch more this way, which I can't blame them for.

I still check though; was actually just at one about 30 mins ago. With that said, in years of checking, I've only found military on two instances. Once last year (M65 field jacket @ $9) and once this year (1969 dated jungle jacket @$2.50). That's a pretty sad return considering all the times I've visited. Yet I still go, because you never know......

My goodwills and other thrift stores have nothing in the way of militaria, just old furniture and junk that no one wants. I stick to the flea markets and antique stores for the majority of looking for anything militaria. Tomorrow I'm going to a flea market at one of the VFWs near my house. It isn't highly advertised so I should have a chance to find something. If that fails there are a couple of antique stores along the way to my friend's house so I can hit them up on the way.