Question about Gunner Rate

kanemono

I have an extensive group to Samuel Thomas Smith who was a Chief Electrician Radio. He was also appointed to Gunner ® (T) in 1917. Why would he have the rank Gunner as a Radio man?

Dick

post-9487-0-34612800-1443540025.jpg

post-9487-0-57208100-1443540038.jpg

In the March 1919 Navy Directory, he is still shown as a temporary Warrant Gunner at the Receiving Ship at Norfolk, Virginia.

Does seem a bit unusual.

Wharf

In the March 1919 Navy Directory, he is still shown as a temporary Warrant Gunner at the Receiving Ship at Norfolk, Virginia.

Does seem a bit unusual. Gunner is a Warrant Officer Rank. While Generally, one would stay in their Rate Group when moving from CPO to Warrant, it is not unheard of to move to a different group. Especially if at the time, there is no Warrant Officer Rank in your advancement path. You may applie for any Warrant position you feel qualified for. Apparently, the Navy felt him qualified

Wharf

Here is a section from a page in his CSC Book. I couldn't understand how he could be both Chief Electrician Radio and Gunner (R ) (T). He is included in a book I am working on and I want to get everything correct.

Thanks, Dick

post-9487-0-09991500-1443556864.jpg

Gunner was a warrant officer rank, and warrant ranks had to be created by Congress. Technology moved faster than legislation, so petty officer Radiomen and Electricians had to be promoted to the warrant rank of Gunner, which had sub-specialties of Gunner (Radio) and Gunner (Electrical). Gunner ( R) (T) is Gunner, Radio, Temporary. In 1925 Congress approved the warrant ranks of Electrician and Radio Electrician (at which time PO Electricians became Electricians'. Mates).

Justin B.

Thank you very much for the information. On the last page of his CSC book Smith was "Advanced to rank of Gunner on retirement list of U.S.N.." Dated September 1, 1936.

Thanks again,

Dick

This has nothing to do with the question but I think it is a great picture of Smith and I thought I would share with everyone. The U.S.S. New Hampshire baseball team 1911.

Dick

post-9487-0-11267700-1443622295.jpg

Thank you very much for the information.

You're welcome! After the USN got geared up for WW1, most of the regular navy CWOs became temporary lieutenants or JGs, all of the WOs became ensigns or JGs, and all the WO slots were filled with (permanent) petty officers. Smith's entry in the wartime Navy Register has note 24: "Qualified on examination as radio gunner."

On the last page of his CSC book Smith was "Advanced to rank of Gunner on retirement list of U.S.N.." Dated September 1, 1936.

Yep, in 1932 an act of Congress allowed retired enlisted and warrant personnel whose service in the Spanish American or First World War was "creditable" to be advanced on the retired list to the highest temporary grade they had held. But it was the title only, no more money!

Thanks for posting the photo, those ball team pictures are great.

Justin B.

One more thing: I think the reason Gunner was the warrant "closest match" for Radioman and Electrician, rather than Machinist, was because of the early days of electric power for turrets, loaders, ammunition hoists etc. and electrical firing controls.