My latest Leather patch works ........

Johnny Signor

Thanks "all" for the comments , appreciated , I'm working on a 545th Bombardment Squadron at present and will post photo as I have time !

Johnny, dud you work from a historical reference or is that your own creation? I spent a lot of time on a 454th crew and never saw a squadron or group patch. There was the group. " shield" for lack of a better word but I don't recall seeing it on a jacket. The crew that "adopted" me was from the 736th. I had hopes of coming up with a 736th patch with no success.

Great work as always

38Driver, I have been researching the WW2 aviation unit patches about 30 years now, and have found that a lot(not all) were of "Unofficial" status, meaning they were made/used/worn as a unit's patch , but not sent thru channels for "approval" which was required for the emblem to be "approved" and "documented" so thus a Lot weren't recorder "Officially" , this unit being one of those , I have had contact with members of the various units and received either photos of the actual emblems or info proving they were used etc .

This specific unit did use this patch , I also have a color paper copy with a slight variation of this one , the bomb is yellow as are the lightning bolts but the stars(White) are connected at the ends of the bolts and the background is blue with a black border and a unit title scroll at bottom with 454th Bomb.GP.(H) on it , scroll yellow with black title .

There was also this version purportedly used during WW2 below ......

post-2068-0-62425200-1443547578.jpg

Johnny Signor

P38Driver, glad you enjoyed the image, here's another patch I just finished , 545th Bombardment Squadron , B-17 unit , note on this one that it is not on a "round" background as per AAF regs for "Squadrons" , as were some Groups on a round background , regs stated , Group on a "shield" shaped background , and Squadrons on a "round " one , enjoy !!!!

post-2068-0-94392100-1443660982.jpg

Garandomatic

Figure I'll post here...

Johnny made an absolutely fantastic jacket up for me last year as a tribute to Jimmy Doherty, 452nd BG. I was so busy wearing it that I didn't want to give it up to get the patches sewn on, and figured I ought to THIS year before it gets cold again. The back of the Jacket can be seen here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/209781-tailgunner-rediscovered/

Here is the front:

post-9670-0-46232800-1443661581.jpg

Johnny Signor

Hey, thanks for posting the front of the jackets with the patches I did for you also, looks great , I was really happy to eb able to make them for you along with the art on the back , hope it brings you many years of good times and memories !!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny