Glider Garrison Caps - approximate age needed

mcmike

Got a couple of Glider troop garrison caps at an estate sale yesterday, and would like an idea as to when they were used. I thought the Glider troops were disbanded shortly after WWII, but one of these (cap # 1) has a DSA # tag which I think puts it roughly '62 to '77. It also has green piping.

The other Cap # 2) is older, I guess probably '50s, and has gold and black piping. So am I wrong about when they disbanded the glider troops, or why did they keep making the caps into the 60s or 70s?

I believe the trooper's name was Ketchum, and I also got his '67-ish Airborne helmet; which has captain's bars on the front.

And, as if that weren't enough, anyone know an approximate value of these caps? Looking on eBay I figure $10 to $20, but not sure. Thanks for any help!

Mikepost-8025-0-71604100-1443388925.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got a couple of Glider troop garrison caps at an estate sale yesterday, and would like an idea as to when they were used. I thought the Glider troops were disbanded shortly after WWII, but one of these (cap # 1) has a DSA # tag which I think puts it roughly '62 to '77. It also has green piping.

The other Cap # 2) is older, I guess probably '50s, and has gold and black piping. So am I wrong about when they disbanded the glider troops, or why did they keep making the caps into the 60s or 70s?

I believe the trooper's name was Ketchum, and I also got his '67-ish Airborne helmet; which has captain's bars on the front.

And, as if that weren't enough, anyone know an approximate value of these caps? Looking on eBay I figure $10 to $20, but not sure. Thanks for any help!

Mikeattachicon.gif 1GCapVN1.jpg

I believe AG-344 became available in 1965....and became standard issue in 1966.

The patch (Airborne/Glider) was worn by airborne troops until the garrison cap was phased out.