SCR-509/510 609/610 or BC-620, USMC issued

Peace

Hi all,

I found a 'not so nice' radio this weekend. This will be my new project. I got it at a nice price, since it's missing some obvious parts.

I am actually a total noob concerning radio equipment, but I did find some usefull info allready.

The SCR-509&510 or SCR-609&610 are pretty much the same.

These are the differences, please correct me when I'm wrong.

509-> use on the ground, 510-> use in vehicle, same for 609, 610

SCR 509/510 -> uses frequency 20 to 27.9 mc/s

SCR 609/610 -> uses frequency 27 to 39.9 mc/s

When mounted in say, a jeep, one would also need an MP50 Mount Base, and an MP40 or MP40A Mast.

The radio itself needs to be mounted on an FT-250 Mounting with some extra fittings (dont know if these have a specific nomenclature)

I am aiming to put this on my jeep, so I need to find me some extra gear!

Now for what I do have;

As you can see in the the pictures below, the set has been repainted at one time, fortunately most of the original paint underneath was still preserved. My first idea was to strip this set completely of paint, and then do a from the ground up revision and repainting. Decided not to do it for the following reasons; 1. originality, 2. the original 'crackle' finish can't be duplicated satisfactory, and 3. I found something interesting! More on this later;

first some pictures from 'When found.'

Front;

post-132-1218573159.jpg

As you can see, a lot of parts are missing at this point, like the volt meter, linkup from battery to transmitter/receiver, and most obviously the tag.

Inside works are looking pretty good, but there is one thing missing there too. I hope I can source these parts.

Now for the interesting part.

After tediously removing all of the ugly looking repaint, some markings appeared. On top of the set I found the typical signal corps flags, and more interestingly, a USMC UNIS marking!!! Main reason not to repaint the set.

I dont have additional pictures yet, but here is the marking I found;

post-132-1218574283.jpg

With my limited knowledge on UNIS markings, I'd say this is 4th Marine Division, 24th Marines. And perhaps HQ company? Any info on this would be so nice.

I'd like to add that I would appreciate any and all insights about this, maybe some on & offline sources for info & parts?

I also need TM11-615, that wont be a problem to find, but are there others I would need?

I'll try to add some progress photos & info when I can.

Regards,

Stijn

If you're planning on putting that radio in your Jeep, I strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of TM 11-2715 Installation of Radio Equipment in Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4X4. It covers your radio, plus several others. Details all of the parts and locations of where to mount things like the FT-250 radio mount, MP-50 antenna mount, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished removing all the postwar paint, while trying to preserve the original 'crackle' finish. I think it came out looking pretty good. I could just as easily have it sandblasted, but I just hate that repainted look, it just doesnt look right.

post-132-1220097449.jpg

post-132-1220097474.jpg

And here are the markings a I was talking about. I think that looks fantastic!

post-132-1220097505.jpg

And finally, forummember Johan Willaert helped me to a nice phone for this set.

post-132-1220097578.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Finished removing all the postwar paint, while trying to preserve the original 'crackle' finish. I think it came out looking pretty good. I could just as easily have it sandblasted, but I just hate that repainted look, it just doesnt look right.

And here are the markings a I was talking about. I think that looks fantastic!

And finally, forummember Johan Willaert helped me to a nice phone for this set.

A superb job of restoration!

• 1 month later...

Finding parts for this set is not easy. Had the luck of finding some at the Ciney Show. I found the missing battery cable, voltage meter and a reproduction data plate. I used a reproduction because nobody has any original plates...

The missing screws were a problem. New screw would stick out as a sore thumb, so I salvaged the needed screws from inside the radio, and replaced those with new ones, you cant see them anyway.

The date plate also looked too new, so after drilling the holes for the screws, I aged it a little.

Only missing the contraption to fit the batt cable to the case, and the antenna mount... If anybody has that, I'll take it!

Hope you like it.

post-132-1225051971.jpg

Regards,

Stijn

Hi Peace,

Did you know that there were special contracts for radio equipped USMC jeeps? Types MB-NAVY-MZ-1 and MZ-2? These are some of the rarest WWII Willys jeeps made.

The guy who probably knows most about these, and the radios that went in them is Mark Tombleson.

Here is a link to a short article that he wrote on the subject of vehicle mounted radios, with his contact address if you feel it's useful.

Mark Tombleson

He has a restored MZ-1, and I'm sure he'd like to see pics of your radio.

Best Regards,

Prof

Hey Prof,

thank you for the link.

I did try to email Mark, but the email adress listed seems to be dead...

Regards,

Stijn

Hi Stijn,

Hey Prof,

thank you for the link.

I did try to email Mark, but the email adress listed seems to be dead...

Regards,

Stijn

Hmm....

OK, perhaps a pm to him on the G503 website?

Here's a link to a discussion about an MZ-2 that someone in the UK bought for restoration.

His nic. is Mark Tombleson (original :lol: )

MZ-2 jeep

You may need to join to mail, but, it's free...

Best Regards,

Prof

• 1 month later...

I have a BC-620-F that I am working to restore to operating condition. Believe it or not, I found it sitting by the road about a quarter mile from my house witha sign that said "Free" next to it.

Mine is in much better shape than yours, more original, although I did remove and discard the handle, which was rathery stinky and the dessicant in the bootom that looked like it was causing corrosion.

I can take close up photos, make measurements and so forth. Whatever you need, let me know.

The dataplate is plastic covered so if I take a close up of mine you can probably print one out on a photo printer, and cover it with some clear plastic and end up with one that looks pretty good.

By the way, I have a copy of the original WWII manual for the BC-620 if that helps.

And perhaps someone could answer something concerning this radio. It covers the 20-27 MHZ range, which I understand was used by amour units. So just what was this set used for? By auxilaries to tank units? And what were they doing? Scouting? Logistics?

Also, the very similar BC-659 had a built in speaker but a higher freq range and presumably was used by infrantry units for such things as coordination with artillery.

Hi MIFlyer,

thank you for the help offering. My project is nearing completion, optically at least. I found all the missing parts for it, all original. Only need an antenna now. Thanks for the offer on the data plate, but I have one allready, just have to have it serialnumbered.

If you need spare handles, I might be able to help.

All the parts are still on the way to me, but after arrival and mounting, I'll post some progress pictures.

Unbelieveable find you made! and free to boot!

Regards,

Stijn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Bob Hudson
Hi all,

I found a 'not so nice' radio this weekend. This will be my new project. I got it at a nice price, since it's missing some obvious parts.

How much did it cost in that rough shape? There's a couple of BC-620's being at offered at an estate sale in southern California this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Austringer
How much did it cost in that rough shape? There's a couple of BC-620's being at offered at an estate sale in southern California this weekend.

Here is mine, mine is a 1942 and an early model. Never had the power cable canvas straps.

jason

post-3718-1242708799.jpg

And at last,

here is the finished product. I really enjoyed working on this.

post-132-1234733855.jpg

Regards,

Stijn

Peace:

Rub the nameplate on that power supply with WD-40 or Marvel Mystery Oil or something like that. It will clear up that frosting effect and make it look much better.

Congratulations! The set looks nice. Clean up that nameplate and it will look much better.

And by the way, here is a tip for all you restorers out there. If you have a radio dial that seems to have faded and would be too complex to repaint, try cleaning it off with a fairly strong cleaner and wiping it doan. Then hit it with a very light spray of clear gloss laquer paint, the type you find for model airplanes. You will be amazed! The problem is not fading but a loss of the top shiny layer of paint. Restore that layer and it will look almost new. And by the way, this trick also works for those frosted plastic headlight lenses you see on modern cars.

• 5 years later...
stealthytyler

post-131595-0-56621100-1420522338.jpg

Im a few years late! Here is a photo of my grandfather and his platoon buddy working on one of these during the invasion of Southern France during WWII: