2 WWI Air Service Tunics Named with Bullion Wings

gfryman

2 of my favorites in my possession - looking for a little help on the one with the colored bullion wings, never seen anything like it. One on left is a private purchase out of Iowa. Other is private purchase out of Indy.

TIA, Geoff

post-159860-0-20393700-1443358622.jpg

post-159860-0-84713600-1443358622.jpg

post-159860-0-43368500-1443358623.jpg

Geoff,

There are some combination silk/bullion wings known. They are not common. I can not see any immediate red flags--but your photos are not very high resolution.

Chris

Name on the silk/bullion badged tunic is Maj P. B. McLauphlin. George Winchester Scales from Wyoming, enlisted at Denver discharged on the bullion badged uniform. The Scales is actually a large group with alot of documentation, Just havent had time to take pictures of all of it.Thanks for the help!

Name on the silk/bullion badged tunic is Maj P. B. McLauphlin. George Winchester Scales from Wyoming, enlisted at Denver discharged on the bullion badged uniform. The Scales is actually a large group with alot of documentation, Just havent had time to take pictures of all of it.Thanks for the help!

George Scales was from Sheridan, Wyoming. He was stationed at Rich Field. No indication he got overseas.

No record of a P.B. McLauphlin on any of my records. Perhaps Cliff has some insight. I have the names, home address, rank and rating, and squadron or assignment of over 9800 WW1 Aviators. The list is pretty complete but every once in a while another name pops up.

The only wing badge I have seen with a white ribbed silk shield was worn by Lt. Henry Clay. Attached is a pic of Lt. Clay's wing and uniform. Have never seen one such as the one on McLauphlin's tunic.

post-6022-0-11033700-1443675979.jpg

post-6022-0-69245800-1443676011.jpg