Cold Weather Mouton Hat...WWII?

Will

Can't seem to find a reference for this hat.

I'm presuming that it is U.S. Army WWII.

Olive drab wool, golden brown mouton fur front piece and flaps, no lining, just a sweatband.

The ties look like black shoelaces and I'm thinking that they are replacements for whatever was originally there.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

-Will

P1110903.JPG

P1110904.JPG

P1110907.JPG

P1110908.JPG

General Apathy

Can't seem to find a reference for this hat.

I'm presuming that it is U.S. Army WWII.

Olive drab wool, golden brown mouton fur front piece and flaps, no lining, just a sweatband.

The ties look like black shoelaces and I'm thinking that they are replacements for whatever was originally there.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

-Will

post-344-0-19693400-1443305452.jpg

Hi Will, is this anywhere near close to what you have, taken in Korea 1950s.

Lewis. . . .

looks to me like a Canadian Army pile cap from ww2, not U.S. Army issue and looks nothing like the US issue pile cap in the photo..vince g. 11B Infantry

looks to me like a Canadian Army pile cap from ww2, not U.S. Army issue and looks nothing like the US issue pile cap in the photo..vince g. 11B Infantry

Interesting, but I've gone through my reference materials and I've not found a Canadian winter cap that had the mouton fur on it. The ones that I've found were entirely wool.

To me this one is very similar to the WWII Army M-1943 "Cap, Field, Pile, OD", which had mouton fur on the front and side flaps. But the M-1943 was supposed to have been made in a poplin material, not wool. On the other hand, I suppose that it was also a type of cap that was privately offered and sold during the period.

The M-1943:

cap.jpg

General Apathy

Interesting, but I've gone through my reference materials and I've not found a Canadian winter cap that had the mouton fur on it. The ones that I've found were entirely wool.

To me this one is very similar to the WWII Army M-1943 "Cap, Field, Pile, OD", which had mouton fur on the front and side flaps. But the M-1943 was supposed to have been made in a poplin material, not wool. On the other hand, I suppose that it was also a type of cap that was privately offered and sold during the period.

The M-1943:

post-344-0-40221700-1443370550.jpg

post-344-0-51524600-1443370577.jpg

Hi Will apologies the previous photograph I added has two entirely different caps, I really should have cropped off the cap on the left hand side as that IS a US Army poplin material alpaca lined winter cap, which is what you have yourself identified that particular cap as.

So going back to the wool material Mouton cap on the right hand side of the photo, here are the comparisons again now in close up, the image is Korean War period, but that does not necessarily date the cap to being 1950s.

Lewis.

General Apathy

post-344-0-42054100-1443384239.jpg

post-344-0-63968200-1443384275.jpg

Hi Will, I appear to see a band of mouton across the forehead behind the bill, could you take some more photos please of the the side flaps and the bill folded down, does it have a band of mouton such as in the photo I have attached, ( attached photo is without a front bill )

Thanks Lewis.