Jockey Helmet - worn by AAF groundcrew?

FortJohn

I have heard these were worn by ground crew as they were riding on the wings of P47's as they were taxied around .Or on carriers.If you know let me know.Thanks.Greg.

post-154139-0-02645300-1443231264.jpg

post-154139-0-50954700-1443231276.jpg

• 1 month later...
doinworkinvans

this is one sweet piece - I cant believe it hasn't received more comments. I would love to know more about it. Obviously it is lined by an A-9.

I would love to see pics of AAF ground crew wearing something like this...I have viewed many photos of the wing riders during taxi....none, that I recall were wearing helmets...

I am not saying this never happened...just have not seen pics yet

Wonder if it was unit specific....neat if it was worn during such activities...would be a heck of a fall, and the helmet might have been useful...

or maybe a jockey using surplus gear to modify his race helmet..

would be nice to know more.. I kinda dig it

• 3 years later...

Old thread I know but cool helmet. My instinct says, and I'd bet money, this has nothing to do with the military. Unless there is photographic evidence otherwise I'm guessing this was made from surplus for auto racing, soap box, early drag racing,salt flat, dirt, etc. Incidentally, I have seen plenty of footage of crew riding on the wings of P-47s but never with special PPE. I've never seen ground crew riding on the wings of carrier aircraft or flight deck personell wearing hard shell caps(especially with AAF nomenclature) while spotting aircraft. Sounds like someone trying to add unique rarity and value to an item. Those types of claims always require proof on the seller's part.

If the OP still sees this thread, is it fastened anywhere else to the shell other than the one seen on the center rear? And has 3 1/2 years uncovered any more evidence?

Dave

hbtcoveralls

I would bet this is more of a soapbox derby or early bonneville/sprint car type helmet, really cool but probably not military use just using military surplus components.

Is it named anywhere or are there any other military markings?

Hbt, This was a 3 1/2 yo thread I revived so not sure we'll hear much from.

It is interesting and would be a good addition for someone who collects whatever it is. It just isn't AAF as rumored.

Has anyone else ever heard of AAF wing walkers using hard helmets in WWII? That's more of a task everyone just did out of necessity rather than a job special equipment was issued for.

Dave