Hate framing panoramas but always happy with results: Tank Corps at Meade

jagjetta

I am first to admit, "I hate spending the money to properly frame panoramas." Especially when they are unusually long (costs goes up a lot!).

I had actually forgot that I had this ca. 1920 panorama titled, "Tank Corps, U.S.Army, Camp Meade, Md." (over 4' 10" long!) featuring new Mk VIIIs Heavy Tanks along with USM1917 6-ton tanks.

This was probably taken right after the MKVIIIs were delievered and before the demise of the Tank Corps in late 1920 when it was reorganized into individual Tank Companies.

post-949-0-15219900-1443212757.jpg

post-949-0-19738300-1443212791.jpg

post-949-0-89761600-1443213518.jpg

Now I have to find a spot on the wall for it!

Treat 'em rough!

John

That is an awesome piece. I don't think I've ever seen another WW1 era tank scroll photo.

Dang...that just opened the door for me to post some more!

post-949-0-87669600-1443214242.jpg

post-949-0-88062900-1443214261.jpg

post-949-0-36413000-1443214276.jpg

Here's a few more....that's it. I don't think I have "forgotten" any more like that first one. I was delighted to discover it in my "shootin' closet" (where I have all my ammo / firearms...tank corps stuff wasn't supposed to be in there!)

post-949-0-78643200-1443214410.jpg

post-949-0-08939300-1443214433.jpg

post-949-0-32366000-1443214552.jpg

I blush to think how much I have spent on framing....I don't know why I can't find Tank Corps panoramas already framed!

Wow John, all someone has to say is: I never saw a tank panorama before and you haul out the big guns! These are incredible, thanks for showing them because, I've never seen a panorama with tanks before either.

Tanks for sharing!.... :lol: .....but seriously, man those are cool and worth every cent to frame im sure.....are there any guys wearing the old tanker helmets at all in any of them?!....mike

Here's a few more....that's it. I don't think I have "forgotten" any more like that first one. I was delighted to discover it in my "shootin' closet" (where I have all my ammo / firearms...tank corps stuff wasn't supposed to be in there!)

attachicon.gif1a-4.jpg

attachicon.gif1a-5.jpg

attachicon.gif1a-6.jpg

I blush to think how much I have spent on framing....I don't know why I can't find Tank Corps panoramas already framed!

Well you just made this Tanker and WW1 enthusiast very happy. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice! I've never seen one such as this!

I always dread buying yard longs without frames, but I can never pass them up! I finally broke down & bought some used framing tools. Now I just buy large frames at goodwill & cut them down.

Tanks for sharing!.... :lol: .....but seriously, man those are cool and worth every cent to frame im sure.....are there any guys wearing the old tanker helmets at all in any of them?!....mike

Mike,

Have yet to encounter the helmet on a panorama. I have a few snapshots where the helmets are worn, but I suspect they date around 1920-1923 rather than during the War/Occupation.

JAG

Very nice! I've never seen one such as this!

I always dread buying yard longs without frames, but I can never pass them up! I finally broke down & bought some used framing tools. Now I just buy large frames at goodwill & cut them down.

Morlock,

That is an interesting approach. I used to have mine framed at hobby lobby until they became a bit too political for my tastes. Now I use a private framer whenever she has a 70% off sale...and then it still is very high priced (in most cases far more for the framing than the image!)

JAG