ww2 aircraft ammo box

usaaf93

Hello

A while ago I bought this aircraft box over here in France. I think it is an early ww2 aircraft ammo box but I am a bit skeptical about the writings starting with "52". Does it mean it was still used post war ? Thanks for your help.

Julien

20150410.jpg

20150411.jpg

20150412.jpg

20150413.jpg

20150414.jpg

the numbers aren't dates but are aircraft part numbers. Both of the part numbers have prefixes, that according to an aviation archeology website, were for parts used on the P2V "Neptune" patrol bomber built by Lockhheed.

first flight of the Neptune was May 17 1945

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-2_Neptune

Tom Bowers

The problem is that what you have looked up is the aircraft serial number for a P-40. Only major assemblies on an aircraft have the A/c serial number. Parts numbers are a different thing. And this box has part numbers starting with 42 and with 52 which are both prefixes associated with the Neptune.

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/partaircraft.htm

Tom Bowers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Flightpath

Old thread but I just thought about the width of the box, = what calibre the gun was.

lockheed neptune nose turret, reallllly old one, before they got rid of turrets, made out of the material saving wood type stuff to from ww2

aero_9c_nose.jpg

hbtcoveralls

lockheed neptune nose turret, reallllly old one, before they got rid of turrets, made out of the material saving wood type stuff to from ww2

aero_9c_nose.jpg

Thanks for posting the diagram, I knew it was Neptune due to the part number prefix, just didn't know where it went on the Tune. As an aside I actually flew in a restored SP-2H (late model neptune) several years ago

Tom Bowers