Grumman S-2 Control Yoke

hink441

I have always wanted one of these and was able to get this one recently. This yoke is a little rough but I really like the wear and tear of this piece. I would eventually like to get some buttons and a Grumman center cap to complete the yoke.

post-10825-0-93864400-1443141434.jpg

Good luck restoring it. You need to find some A-6 controls as well since you spent time with them.

Thanks TLeo

You are right, finding the correct buttons for a proper restoration will be extremely difficult. There were less than 1300 of these built, so I would imagine parts are pretty scarce. I don't have any A-6 sticks. Would be nice to get one. I would really like to get a A-3 Skywarrior control yoke. That would awesome. Here is a picture of an A-3 yoke.

post-10825-0-50035400-1443285969.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You should try talking to the guy at aviationwarehouse.net . If someone has it laying in a box it's probably him. I haven't been out to see him lately but I want to go out in December and get some PSP mats.

northcoastaero

Try the following sources also:

bellsaviation.com

flighthelmet.com

garciaaviation.com

flyboyplus.com

aviation-antiques.com

magnum-aero.com

barnstormers.com

What you have is a control wheel, not a control yoke. A control yoke has to look like something that would remind a farmboy who has been drafted into the military of the yokes that they put on beasts of burden. Photo of a Cessna LC-126 control yoke attached. There is a fairing on the C-130 nacelle that is referred to as the "horse collar fairing" at the factory in Marietta, Georgia. It got that nickname when most of the workers were quite familiar with horses and mules and the name lives on although today's workers are more familiar with pick up trucks.

post-54142-0-35568600-1444576593.jpg

• 1 month later...

Chris, very cool!

Have you checked out at the Aviation Museum in Pungo? They might be able to hook you up with someone who might be able to help.

Chris, very cool!

Have you checked out at the Aviation Museum in Pungo? They might be able to hook you up with someone who might be able to help.

That is a good idea, I need to get down there and snoop around. Thanks Linda!!

Chris

• 5 months later...

Hello all:

A control wheel collector and friend of mine tied me into the existence of this website and that occasionally the topic of control yokes pops up in some context. I'm the guy who bought that metallic-pink P-38J/L control wheel, pictured in the earlier post above, on Ebay late last year. I've restored many control yokes...this is my second restoration of a late-model P-38 yoke. Thought the forum members might enjoy some photos. I don't own this yoke anymore. It's now sitting front & center on the bookshelf of a fellow collector who traded me the only free-standing, genuine Boeing B-50 control wheel I've ever encountered. I think we both made out well. Take care all:

Swifter

post-162703-0-50056600-1463719372.jpg

post-162703-0-20708700-1463719374.jpg

post-162703-0-18946600-1463719376.jpg

hbtcoveralls

Thank you for posting, The P-38 yoke is fantastic, that was a great piece. It would be great if you could post some more from your collection since really have the WOW factor

Swifter,

Thanks for checking in. Really like your work. I would really enjoy seeing more of your collection. Please feel free to post your pics here!!

Looking forward to seeing more wheels!!

Chris

Hello Swifter,

It's a small world these days! You did a cracking job with that P38 yoke. Did you see my PM on the Flypast forum? No worries either way.

Thanks Ian!

That is a great looking Stoof-3 yoke!!

There was a C-2 Greyhound yoke that was on this forum a few years ago. Missed out on that one.

Chris