Tom Hanks "FORREST GUMP" Medal of Valor for sale...

MMcollector

This should be TECHNICALLY illegal to sell, and I find it surprising that nothing is mentioned in the auction listing about the company getting approval for a US-based sale of an imitation of a MOH. Perhaps there is some leeway since this is a movie prop, and is being sold as such.

From the Congressional Medal of Honor Society website (the bolded emphasis is mine):

It is illegal to buy, sell, barter, or manufacture any decorations or medals authorized by Congress for the United States armed forces.
In General.— Whoever knowingly purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates of receipt for, manufactures, sells, attempts to sell, advertises for sale, trades, barters, or exchanges for anything of value any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Like I said, it's interesting that this is allowed for sale via eBay. They can be a strange company at times...

I guess we should all " Report " it to Ebay through their system and see if they actually do anything about it.

Kurt

To funny Kurt...the thought did cross my mind

• 2 weeks later...
aerialbridge

Lot 1711, the Forrest Gump / Tom Hanks Medal of, uh, "Valor" from the Profiles in History tv boys, just sold at 643 pm PDT with one solitary internet bid at the opening of $4k and no bids from the live auction in Calabasas that is still going on. Included is a visit from the FBI. Not. $4k would buy a nice REAL group of valor medals. There was one other lot from the Gump movie, lot 1710, the class A uniform complete with prop ribbons and CIB badge that didn't get an opening bid at its $10k reserve. On the other hand, Jurassic Park is a big hit for those with more dollars than cents.

There were a lot of items from that movie and Titanic as I just happened to catch this in progress. For $32,500, you could have been the lucky winner of the Richard Attenborough character's walking stick. Lolz.

The real big news here is that Profiles in History Auctions is selling through eBay.

They are a high profile outfit that sells a lot of Hollywood and other famous people items.

At one time they had the witch's hat from Wizard of Oz of all things.

Their pricing is will above the budget and means of us more common collectors.

Take a look at their completed auctions. One of their items was Mel Gibson's uniform as Hal Moore in "We Were Soldiers" for a cool $10K.

Unless I personally obtained an item from the actual movie set, I wouldn't believe any of this stuff. Seems like every RANGERS diamond patch listed for sale on Ebay is "from Saving Private Ryan". I'd guess a huge % of these movie items are bogus.