Leaders Always Armored Tab?

Sgt.Hinkley

Can someone tell me if the Leaders Always Armored Tab is the 755th armored or 755th tank battalion tab? I would like information on what both of their tabs are if possible. Thanks for any info!

Not specifically addressing the tab, but as far as I can tell, there was no "755th Armored Rgt".

The 755th Tank Bn's lineage:

Constituted 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 75th Tank Battalion (Medium). Redesignated as the 755th Tank Battalion (Medium) on 8 May 1941 and activated on 1 June 1941 at Camp Bowie, Texas. Assigned to the 1st Tank Group, the 755th Tank Battalion entered combat on 15 December 1943 during the Naples-Foggia Campaign in support of the 45th Infantry Division near Venafro Italy. On 9 January 1944 the 755th was reassigned to the Fifth Army. The 755th was inactivated near Florence, Italy on 8 September 1945. It was redesignated the 79th Heavy Tank Battalion and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division on 20 March 1949. Only Company A was activated at Otsu, Japan. Company A, 79th Tank battalion participated in six Korean campaigns with the 25th Division. On 5 August 1951 the battalion’s WWII designation was restored when it was redesignated the 755th Tank Battalion. Two months later it was inactivated on 14 November 1951.

Thanks for the info. So what division is the Leaders always tab with?

During WWII the battalion was independant and not an organic element of any division. They would have worn the standard Armored Forces triangle, sometimes embelished with their unit number, as here: http://755thtank.net/index.html

FYI: The motto "Duces Semper" (Leaders Always) originated with the 75th Tank Bn and carried through the 79th Tank Bn. So, if a tab exists I'm not sure if it's strictly for the 755th Tank Bn. I'm sure somebody else might know that answer to that.

The "tab" that is the subject of this thread appears to be a fantasy tab that someone created for any one of a multitude of reasons. There are many fantasy armor tabs.

That being said, an image of this tab would prove to be most helpful.

The reason I'm asking about this tab is because my Grandfather served with the 755th tank battalion during WW2 and this tab is on ebay and I didn't know if I should add it to my collection or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150509994333?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As mentioned that there is a repro, probably something that was never worn, a fantasy piece. Cant find any images or references to it being worn.

post-34986-0-11008200-1442945204.jpg

I wouldn't touch that tab with a ten foot pole. It's made for collectors. Someone may have seen a photo of a sign, or heard that it was a call sign in the battalion, and had it made up recently. It sure was not made in 1945.

I don't include fantasy pieces in my collection. That member patches says there are no references or photos indicating it was worn is important to remember. He's great at researching.

If you want to take the seller's word that this is a piece associated with the battalion, and you want to add it to your collection to honor your grandfather, that's your decision. Just don't think anyone in the 755th wore that advertised tab in 1945.

For future note - only two or three few separate tank battalions had tabs worn by a majority of their personnel at anytime during or following the war. Collectors are lucky that so many GIs had their battalion numbers added to armor force patches.

The 755th Tank Bn patch mentioned in post 7 is a PX type patch, with the numbers added by the patch manufacturer. There is a whole series of these types of armored battalion numbered patches, but that's a different story.

I've been watching this Item for a long time just never asked. I'm defiantly not buying it I only do original items and I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the save guys. Take a look at my grampas uniform. He didn't get a number patch on his uniform so I took matter into my own hands and got one.

post-153685-0-39577400-1442950066.jpg

post-153685-0-64632500-1442950073.jpg

post-153685-0-55431200-1442950195.jpg

It's great that you are interested in what your grandfather did and that you have all his memorabilia.

I also have the PX type and this theater-made example - am sure the vet inked the numbers in right before I got it last year:

post-622-0-92910500-1442951003.jpg

Since you actually have your grandfather's original uniform, you had the answer to your question right from the start. They wore a plain armor triangle with no tab.

• 1 year later...
BlackJoker

Hello everyone!

Sorry if I re-open this old topic, but I'm doing research on the 755th Tank Battalion in Northern Italy in may 1945.

I live near the town of Ivrea (near Turin and Milan). Here, in may 1945, they arrived the 34th Infantry Division ''Red Bull'', to accept the surrender of the LXXV Army Corps of the Germans and Italians forces; among wich the 5^ Gebirgs-Division.

The city of Ivrea is near Biella (where General Hans Schlemmer signed the surrender of the LXXV Army Corps). Is also close to Aosta, where the Americans prevented the French of de Gaulle to join the region of Aosta to the France.
I know the 34th Infantry Division ''Red Bull'' came here at the time. But there were also armored troops,
I have found this photo belonged to my grandfather (he was a rebel during 1944-45), it was taken in Ivrea, may 5 1945.
2jw960.jpg

I'd like to find out who they were.
Do you have any information about it please?
Any information would be very important to my research.
Many thanks in advance

BlackJoker

Note markings: 5 A 755 A (this last is not an A but an triangle) A - 4 (?)

281anmp.jpg

2lngx2q.jpg

Looking at the original photo with a lens I think the number of the battalion is 755. The number 5 A should refer to Fifth Army I suppose.

Wich Tank Battalion was aggregated to 34th Infantry Division in may 1945? I know that the 752th fought with them for all the Italian's campaign, but in april 1945 they follow the 88th Infantry Division "Blue Devils" in North East of Italy. Ivrea instead is in North West.

Many thanks and sorry for my english guys.

You are correct. 755th Tank B, assigned to 5th Army. As far as tank battalions being attached to infantry divisions, or other units during WW II, it was not done as an entire tank battalion. Most of the time, companies or even platoons were attached to units. In early 1945, until approx. April, for example, the 757th Tank Bn had its three medium tank companies attached to the 34th, 88th, and 91st IDs simultaneously.

If you google it, spell out Bn, and add "history" you may find some docs online, such as AARs, unit history, and the like.

In your opinion, this tank has installed a muzzle brake? Also could it be camouflage?

2lngx2q.jpg

Sorry if I insist but I would like to try to identify the best possible these two tanks.

P.S. Does anyone has photos of GIs soldier in Piedmont and Aosta Region during may 1945? I would really be very interested in any kind of information about it.

In your opinion, this tank has installed a muzzle brake? Also could it be camouflage?

2lngx2q.jpg

Sorry if I insist but I would like to try to identify the best possible these two tanks.

P.S. Does anyone has photos of GIs soldier in Piedmont and Aosta Region during may 1945? I would really be very interested in any kind of information about it.

Not every question has an accurate answer.

Hi guys, there is a pic (sorry for bad quality but is taked by smartphone) of the second sherman of the column.

There seems to be a written on the front plate, What could it be?

bhet07.jpg

In addition, the first man on the right side of the turret seems to wear a camouflage...Do you think so too?

iqgg28.jpg

Moreover, the tree tankers on the turret seem to wear strange helmets, not the classic tanker helmet... :unsure: