Will this hurt my M1 Helmet?

stealthytyler

I picked up a foam mannequin head and would like to place my grandfathers WWII M1 Helmet on it for display. I am wondering if the constant pressure on the liner support webbing will weaken over time and eventually tear the material? I would hate to do any damage to it since it has seen heavy use. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

post-131595-0-89146500-1442783147.jpg

it could yes, it's also known that Styrofoam is bad for the liners. if you want to use the head put something like a stocking over it. but my suggestion would be to get a stand that goes through the center tie. run to goodwill and find a candlestick or some sort of stand that will hold it. even a 3 leg stand flipped over would work great.

heres a link to some "makeshift" helmet stands to give some ideas (i also use a glass head but that will stretch out the webbing eventually)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232515-show-those-makeshift-helmet-stands/?hl=%2Bhelmet+%2Bstands

I have seen muslin or linen used to cover the heads use the type museums use.As suggested if your leaving the liner in it you may opt for something that has a small round base that the liner rests on

Perfect thread! Thanks for sharing it! Great ideas too. I actually think i'm going to put a "crappy" liner in it so I don't have to worry about damage. This will also allow me to display the liner which has some cool painted marks on it as well! I am sure the lightweight liner on another mannequin head will not hurt the suspension.... eh?

Thanks!

I just put a folded piece of cloth in the crown of the liner, thick enough so that the helmet rests on the head on the cloth and not on the webbing of the liner. Works perfectly.

I would go with a stick that goes through the center web and rests (with padding) on the liner itself.

I think the liner on a mannequin head would be light enough. I still wouldn't put it on styrofoam at all though IMO.

I responded to your question in the preservation topic so I won't repeat what I said there.. But in addtion to what I said there you may also look into investing in archival display options..

Here is a link to GAYLORD.com which specializes in museum quality archival, preservation and display items. I will warn you that they are very expensive so don't be alarmed at the sticker shock.. If you don't have the funds to purchase directly you can see and get some ideas as to what they have and use and from there you can build your own stand for a lot cheaper, but will perform in the same manner as one from this company. The link below is for a male headstand.. Again pricey but necessary if you are in the museum field or very preservation/conservation minded..

Leigh

http://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Textile-Preservation/Forms-%26-Stands/Male-Conservation-Head-Form/p/6244M

I would go with a stick that goes through the center web and rests (with padding) on the liner itself.

I think the liner on a mannequin head would be light enough. I still wouldn't put it on styrofoam at all though IMO.

What is wrong with styrofoam?

I responded to your question in the preservation topic so I won't repeat what I said there.. But in addtion to what I said there you may also look into investing in archival display options..

Here is a link to GAYLORD.com which specializes in museum quality archival, preservation and display items. I will warn you that they are very expensive so don't be alarmed at the sticker shock.. If you don't have the funds to purchase directly you can see and get some ideas as to what they have and use and from there you can build your own stand for a lot cheaper, but will perform in the same manner as one from this company. The link below is for a male headstand.. Again pricey but necessary if you are in the museum field or very preservation/conservation minded..

Leigh

http://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Textile-Preservation/Forms-%26-Stands/Male-Conservation-Head-Form/p/6244M

Very nice stands! Wish I have $280 to blow haha

What is wrong with styrofoam?

nothing persay.. however I have heard bad stories (though usually about vinyl sweatbands) about it breaking down and "sticking" to things... causing damage. Hence the suggestions to use a nylon over the head.

just not something I would risk on anything as important as these objects are to you.

These are the types of things where I think an ounce of prevention....

for the "stick" type stands I usually find wood or brass candleholders at garage sales or goodwill.. then put felt pads on the top and set the helmet on it.

-Brian

nothing persay.. however I have heard bad stories (though usually about vinyl sweatbands) about it breaking down and "sticking" to things... causing damage. Hence the suggestions to use a nylon over the head.

just not something I would risk on anything as important as these objects are to you.

These are the types of things where I think an ounce of prevention....

for the "stick" type stands I usually find wood or brass candleholders at garage sales or goodwill.. then put felt pads on the top and set the helmet on it.

-Brian

Looks like I need to rethink my display! I might just fabricate something from the hardware store! Thanks guys!

the safest way is to use a Vietnam era liner for display and display the original liner next to it, any type of stand is no good for a helmet with old / fragile webbing.

for short term display sometimes I stuff a folded piece of bubble wrap or folded towel / rag under the webbing to take the weight off the webbing, or you could untie the adjusting string so no weight is put on the webbing.

the safest way is to use a Vietnam era liner for display and display the original liner next to it, any type of stand is no good for a helmet with old / fragile webbing.

for short term display sometimes I stuff a folded piece of bubble wrap or folded towel / rag under the webbing to take the weight off the webbing, or you could untie the adjusting string so no weight is put on the webbing.

I did just that! I used a Vietnam era liner for the shell and the original liner is sitting next to the shell. I wouldn't want to untie the string because my grandfathers sweat pretty much fused the string knot together haha only way would be to cut it...and that is not an option