M3 found for my Leather scabbard

GOAmules

A couple years ago I found an excellent leather M3 scabbard at a house sale. I haven't researched M3 knives much, but picked this one up today. I thought the ones that weren't engraved in the blade, but just the guard, were earlier. Now, I think I may be wrong. Would this knife "go" with the early leather scabbard? Does it look correct? Sorry about the pearl knives, I was showing the other things I got today!

20931317574_464a640eaa_c.jpg

21527864626_caac932f71_c.jpg

I have three mint M3s, Camillus, Case, and Kinfolks all which came with mint M6 scabbards. Have had them over 27 years. What make is the M6? SKIP

Blade marked with manufacture and date of 1943 came first. Blade marked with manufacture and no date came next. guard marked knives are the third variation. Only made for about 18 months total for all three before transition over to M4 bayonet.

Manufactures started receiving the new plastic M8 sheaths in the last weeks of 1943 to ship with the M3 knives they were producing.

Thanks for the explanation. So I'll be looking to trade this one, for one that is correct for the leather scabbard. I like this knife, but might as well get the correct on for the early sheath.

The leather scabbard reads:

U.S.M6

L&C

FJA

Based on the scabbard condition, you'll need a knife of comparable use. Basically, you don't want a beat up knife in a near mint scabbard. SKIP

To those that are PMing me, I would like to trade the knife, for a correct blade marked 1943 knife, to put into my leather M6. I do not want to "trade my old leather sheath" for the "correct M8 one for that knife" Good try though.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to hear your still on the hunt for a blade dated M3.  When it comes to the three versions of M3's.  There is an overlap for the manufacture of M6 and M8 sheaths.  It turns out that both Sheaths overlap the production of the three versions of the M3's, like SKIPH said.  Still if I had a nice M6 sheath, I'd be looking for a nice blade dated M3 to go with it.

Good luck on your continued hunt.  Hope you post pictures when you bring them together.

As far as I know the L & C M6 sheath was only Issued with a Robeson M3 knife , which only came In blade mark/blade dated variety . So If youre goal Is a period correct as Issued set , youre gonna have to step up to a high dollar knife If the sheath Is as nice as you Indicate . A scarce knife In any condition , theyre out there , but everyone Is looking for them . JMO