Please ID Airborne Flash and Unit Crest....Vietnam?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I found this Airborne beret at the flea market today and I don't know what unit it happens to be, but I know someone does. The seller said that it was a relatives and he was a Vietnam veteran. The flash is cut edge and the printing in top of the cap is faded so I cannot read it. I'm hoping that the Union tag may be able help to tell its age. Please excuse the blurry photos. Thanks!

post-1412-0-69624100-1442688268.jpgpost-1412-0-19657400-1442688274.jpg

post-1412-0-76894700-1442688281.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

That's the DI for the 17th Cavalry. However, there were several Squadrons/Troop detachments to have been a part of the unit in Vietnam...

Manchu Warrior

That's the DI for the 17th Cavalry. However, there were several Squadrons/Troop detachments to have been a part of the unit in Vietnam...

I appreciate the information. Does the cut edge flash indicate that it dates to the 1960's?

Manchu Warrior

Not necesarily. Cut edge patches were made for years. They were actualky eaiser to sew than the merrowed edge ones.

I appreciate the information. Thanks!

Manchu Warrior

You will see the cut edge worn into the 80s as well.

I only paid a couple dollars for it so oh well. I appreciate the information. Thanks!

A number of Cavalry regiments wore this style of flash over the years and still do. When this flash is associated with the 17th my references indicate this would probably be worn by members of the 1st Squadron of the 17th Cav. I believe that variation of the 17th's crest is correct for the Vietnam era. The 1st of the 17th had one troop in Vietnam that served as a ground reconnaissance element for the 82nd Airborne division. I can't help you with placing a date on that Union label but that's another excellent clue to pursue. At any rate it's a nice old salty beret and a bargain for a couple of bucks!

Manchu Warrior

A number of Cavalry regiments wore this style of flash over the years and still do. When this flash is associated with the 17th my references indicate this would probably be worn by members of the 1st Squadron of the 17th Cav. I believe that variation of the 17th's crest is correct for the Vietnam era. The 1st of the 17th had one troop in Vietnam that served as a ground reconnaissance element for the 82nd Airborne division. I can't help you with placing a date on that Union label but that's another excellent clue to pursue. At any rate it's a nice old salty beret and a bargain for a couple of bucks!

Much appreciate. Thanks!!

You're welcome. I'm sorry I didn't realize Cavcon had already identified it for you! Having been a ground recon unit in Vietnam may put the nix on the idea of this beret being of that era due to the maroon color being associated with airborne units. Actually, I don't think any American units wore a maroon beret during the Vietnam war? Does anyone know for sure?

Manchu Warrior

You're welcome. I'm sorry I didn't realize Cavcon had already identified it for you! Having been a ground recon unit in Vietnam may put the nix on the idea of this beret being of that era due to the maroon color being associated with airborne units. Actually, I don't think any American units wore a maroon beret during the Vietnam war? Does anyone know for sure?

post-1412-0-52306000-1442755044.jpg

Soldiers of D Troop 3/17th Cavalry wearing the red (maroon?) beret in Vietnam - 1969/70

I found this this photo and caption on an old thread about US Army berets on the forum.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...