VC-10 Marked APH-6

viking73

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on in a while here (busy moving to a new house!) but I wanted to show off my nice VC-10 marked APH-6 helmet that I purchased last year from a forum member here. It also came with a nice MS22001 mask that wasn't original to the helmet but goes well with it I think. One of my favorites in my collection now for sure!

-Derek

post-5482-0-95384800-1442685764.jpg

The name "Richards" is written in the foam liner. Anyone have a VC-10 unit roster? I think this helmet must be from when the unit flew the F-8 Crusader in the late 60s - early 70s...

Thanks for looking!

-Derek

northcoastaero

Nice flight helmet! I would guess that the helmet is from the mid 1970s-early 1980s based on configuration and the amount of reflective tape on the helmet. If the helmet has foam and leather ear cups, it is an APH-6A. If there are plastic ear cups, then it is an APH-6D. According to wikipedia.org, VC-10 flew the TA-4F and TA-4J Skyhawks from 1975. Your oxygen mask needs a mini-regulator and a lower high pressure hose with a locking connector at the bottom. The mini-regulators used during this time would be the Robertshaw Type 1, Bendix Type 1, Robertshaw CRU-79/P, and possibly other mfr CRU-79/P. I would go with the Robertshaw or Bendix Type 1. The visor lock knob on the helmet appears to be one for the PRK-37/P helmet because it is a lighter blue in color. The PRK-37/P was introduced around 1979. Also, the visor housing is not gull winged cut/modified in the front, which seems to be odd for such a late upgraded APH-6 series. Uncut single visor housings were used at this time, but most would probably have the cut-outs. Hope this helps.