Sewing on patch, and removing patch question

jetranger407

Hi all - I was hoping for a quick point in the right direction. Pulled my 'WEP' jacket out of the closer recently and was figuring I'd give it a new lease on life and wear it around. I was hoping to remove a patch that's been on for quite a while, and then add another to it.

My concern is -- and this is where you guys come in -- can anyone speak as to the damage that's done to the nylon by adding/removing a patch? I'm afraid to remove my old sew-on and leave a circular tattered and pockmarked trail of holes where the patch once was, and possibly create more of the same should I add my current patch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all

I considered Velcro, but it still sorta begs the question -- seeing as I'd need to sew-on the velcro receiving panel hah. But I appreciate the response, Bearmon...

I know regular twill,etc can bounce back to life once something has been removed, but nylon is a bit different it seems. My suspicion is that the nylon threads don't quite get outta the way, the way cotton does when being sewed. But rather breaks, leaving clear blemishes behind upon removal...

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated!

VELCRO!

I suggested Velcro in case you wanted to change again own the line it's been my experience with the nylon type jacket shells the holes from the thread tend to stay.

Velcro kind of alleviates that issue and if the new patch is larger than the old, the old holes are covered. the Velcro can be a larger diameter than the patch too!

Bearmon

• 4 weeks later...

But once you sew on Nylon, it's pretty much there and the material can be damaged permanently if sewn on incorrectly -- even if you carefully sew it on with one thread ad a quilting needle.

I agree with the Velcro. The military rule about Velcro is that the patch it attaches to can't be identified by size or shape, That's because Velcro enables the wearer to remove the patch quickly in a SERE situation -- or if the patch gets old and dirty, and needs replaced.

So, what's sewn on to the jacket may be a square or circle -- mostly squares. Then, certainly you can sew Velcro on to the patch. Towards the end of my AF career, people were taking Velcro with a sticky back, cutting it to the shape of the patch and attaching that to the patch back. That way, you don't damage the patch.

I purchased a new Nylon Flight Jacket and put new patches on where I wanted them. I do not plan to change patch location in the future. If I did, I would have Velcro.

I use the jacket to keep myself warm and dry. Looks good too, patches tell the story. I have no emotional attachment to it and don't freak out if it gets a bit dirty. If need be, I'll buy another.

I simply don't wear any garment I am emotionally attached to or of great value, with the exception of my quality 3 piece dark wool ( Wedding & Funeral ) suit.

Good luck,

Wharf