Billy Mitchell's Pilot wings

rustywings

While in Dayton last week for the ASMIC Convention, I got to visit the National USAF Museum and see some of the best aviation displays and exhibits this Country has to offer. I thought some of you might like a peek at the General Billy Mitchell display which included two of his USAS uniform coats with bullion Pilot wings. (I had to snap these images through the glass case, so the resolution is poor.)

photo (4).JPG

Russ, thank you for posting those wonderful pictures. Here are two official portraits of General Mitchell wearing one of his uniforms. I suppose it may even be possible that it is the same uniform seen on the far of the first photo at the top of his thread.

post-4542-0-89607100-1442612138.jpg

I noticed that the bullion wing with the star applied separate above the wing, the star is upside down (point down). Rickenbacker's uniform on display in Washington has the same star upside down. Often wondered about that. Any of you guys know why they were wearing them this way? Perhaps Cliff has run upon the answer to this somewhere in his travels.

Beautiful shots Russ. Thanks for sharing. Those are amazing historical items. As many of you know I live in Wisconsin and the Milwaukee airport is named after Mitchell. He grew up here and is buried here. The airport has (or had, I haven't been there in a long time so I'm not 100% positive it's still there) a small museum to Mitchell and it had some very nice items but nothing of this caliber.

Good gracious - what a beautiful display.

Can someone tell what the ribbons are?

According to Wikipedia, here's a break-down of the medals and decorations General Mitchell received:

IMG_7191.JPG

Russ, thank you for posting those wonderful pictures. Here are two official portraits of General Mitchell wearing one of his uniforms. I suppose it may even be possible that it is the same uniform seen on the far of the first photo at the top of his thread.

Thank you Cliff. If anyone can add substance and meaning to a thread, it is you Sir!

Here's a few more images for comparison. It looks like the General had a nice assortment of badges over his career.

Mitchell-William1.jpg

9999013050-l1.jpg

mitchell_speaking_tour1.jpg

Very nice Russ, thanks for posting. Hope your road trip is going well.

Jack

Hello Jack (aka: "lower case" irish!),

It was a real pleasure being set-up next to you at the ASMIC! I had a terrific road trip in both directions and successfully checked-off many museums from my bucket list including: The Weisbrod Aircraft Museum, in Pueblo; The National World War I Museum, in Kansas City; The Indiana Military Museum, in Vincennes; The Indiana War Memorial Museum, in Indianapolis; The National Museum of the USAF, in Dayton; The Truman Presidential Library, in Independence; and The Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum, in Abilene. Every one of them distinctly different and well worth my time!

I hope to see you at next year's ASMIC Convention in Portland...

Russ

I noticed that the bullion wing with the star applied separate above the wing, the star is upside down (point down). Rickenbacker's uniform on display in Washington has the same star upside down. Often wondered about that. Any of you guys know why they were wearing them this way? Perhaps Cliff has run upon the answer to this somewhere in his travels.

I agree with you Terry. I've noticed that star discrepancy on several other USAS Pilot images as well. Here's an image of Eddie Rickenbacker's uniform with the inverted star which you described:

Eddie Rickenbacker.jpg

Beautiful shots Russ. Thanks for sharing. Those are amazing historical items. As many of you know I live in Wisconsin and the Milwaukee airport is named after Mitchell. He grew up here and is buried here. The airport has (or had, I haven't been there in a long time so I'm not 100% positive it's still there) a small museum to Mitchell and it had some very nice items but nothing of this caliber.

Hey Bob, thank you for the additional info. In reading several articles earlier today, I learned Billy Mitchell's father was a prominent Senator from Wisconsin... and his grandfather was heavily involved in Wisconsin railroads and banking... and considered to be the richest man in that area of the country during Billy's informative years. His family's estate encompassed most of present day West Allis, Wisconsin. I wonder if any of Billy Mitchell's descendants still play important roles in the Milwaukee area?

You know, I'm not sure about that. I was born in West Allis and that's where my parents lived until their 30s. We moved to Madison, where I currently live, when I was ten. I didn't become a WW2 aviation buff until around 12 so I just missed out on being interested and close enough to research all of Mitchell's history in the area.

;)

Russ, here is a very nice group photo of Billy Mitchell's medals.

Cliff

PS: To see more detail just click the photo two times to enlarge it.

post-4542-0-19761700-1443385151.jpg