SEA Wolfman Patch: 131st AVN CO?

Randy

Not in my area, so I need help with this one! Supposedly airborne naval artillery director/observer related. RVN made, about 4.5" in diameter. Please post any info you have, as I can't seem to find anything on the net, thanks!

Randy

post-8832-0-10421100-1442539785.jpg

Thanks for the info so far guys. Now you can see my confusion, as it seems several services might be involved. The info I posted came from the seller, but I don't think he was involved he just found these to sell. Two-Zero might be the call sign for a specific crew member. It could be the backseater was Army with the cammies depicted, and the pilot was USAF depicted as a coolie/rickshaw driver. Hopefully someone has an answer!

Randy

131st Avn Co (Surv) was a OV-1 Mohawk unit. The design relates to sub elements in the company which were FAC oriented. WOLFMAN as a callsign isn't necessarily unique to the unit but seems to have been a way for radio communications to identify that they were talking to the right eyeballs for the job.

IH

So you think this is the 131 Avn Co, or was that just a suggestion to explore? The article Bearmon posted had some good info as well. Hopefully someone knows for sure... :)

Randy

The patch is definitely associated with the 131st Avn Co. The example I have, WOLFMAN TWO-THREE, came from an OV-1 Mohawk pilot of the 131st who also flew the FAC with a Vietnamese counterpart as portrayed on the patch. No Vietnamese were authorized to fly OV-10's with the USMC or the USAF. The WOLFMAN callsign signified a FAC designated mission aircraft and this could be from any service, USAF,USMC or US Army. In the story quoted above, the USAF OV-10 WOLFMAN 44 was a FAC aircraft, VANGUARD was an Airborne Direction Finding mission. They intercepted and counter located where radio transmission from the broadcast point of the enemy. The WOLFMAN TWO ZERO is in keeping with the callsigns and procedures of the 131st FAC aircraft.

The patch is definitely associated with the 131st Avn Co. The example I have, WOLFMAN TWO-THREE, came from an OV-1 Mohawk pilot of the 131st who also flew the FAC with a Vietnamese counterpart as portrayed on the patch. No Vietnamese were authorized to fly OV-10's with the USMC or the USAF. The WOLFMAN callsign signified a FAC designated mission aircraft and this could be from any service, USAF,USMC or US Army. In the story quoted above, the USAF OV-10 WOLFMAN 44 was a FAC aircraft, VANGUARD was an Airborne Direction Finding mission. They intercepted and counter located where radio transmission from the broadcast point of the enemy. The WOLFMAN TWO ZERO is in keeping with the callsigns and procedures of the 131st FAC aircraft.

Great information.....but it sounds like ASA stuff. Was 131st AVN tied to the ASA? They're listed as MI.

Thanks for the info IH. I had no idea OV-1 units did FAC work as well. Guess this will be labeled as a 131 Avn Co patch. It's a trader for me as I only collect USAF.

Randy