Silver Star Score

Vpep

Hello All,

I was out and about today and stopped in a small antique/thrift shop when I came across this Silver Star Medal in a junk bowl full of broken watches and costume jewelry. After I got over my astonishment of finding this award for valor tossed in a bowl full of what was essentially junk, I asked the sales person if the price was correct. He said yes, so I quickly paid and took my treasure home. Is there any way of finding out from what period this medal was awarded, and who the recipient was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vic

PS. Sorry for the poor photos

post-113193-0-83506000-1442440803.jpgpost-113193-0-87929100-1442440829.jpgpost-113193-0-49042000-1442440860.jpg

Vic,

The Silver Star is a contemporary or current issue. I do not believe it is possible to honestly ID the medal with just a first initial and last name.

It does as if you got it reasonable and saved it from a junk box.Congratulations.

Thanks,

It amazes me what some people consider relatively worthless and I was definitely happy to save it. I thought it was probably recent due to the G27 code on the pin attachment. Is there any sort of data base for the manufactures code?

Great find! While it may be challenging to prove for certain who the recipient was, it may not be too hard to narrow it down. Here is a link for citations spanning several years/wars. http://homeofheroes.com/members/04_SS/siverstar.html

The name that initially came to mind when I saw this was MSG Gary Gordon, who was also one of the two MOH recipients from Somalia.

I did a quick search across the site posted above and did not come up with any other matches, but did not do a full search of each page.

Hope this helps.

Walt

Great find! While it may be challenging to prove for certain who the recipient was, it may not be too hard to narrow it down. Here is a link for citations spanning several years/wars. http://homeofheroes.com/members/04_SS/siverstar.html

The name that initially came to mind when I saw this was MSG Gary Gordon, who was also one of the two MOH recipients from Somalia.

I did a quick search across the site posted above and did not come up with any other matches, but did not do a full search of each page.

Hope this helps.

Walt

Correction to this post. MSG Gordon did not receive a Silver Star in Somalia. I misread the top part stating Medal of Honor and thought all the listings on the page were for Silver Star.

http://homeofheroes.com/members/04_SS/6_PostRVN/10_somalia.html