Correct spot for exiting the comm. wire?

BlueBookGuy

Hello, just some days ago I noticed a detail on my HGU-55/p, never paid too attention before.

The comm. cable does exit shell very close to napestrap's left-side screw and slightly in upper position. Many, if not all pics I have seen of HGU-55/Ps show it about half-way between chinstrap and napestrap's screws, anyway not so close to the latter.

Helmet is absolutely not messed up, and original. It looks like it indeed was born this way. Please can anyone have some clues? Thanks!!

post-151851-0-15782900-1442402599.jpg

post-151851-0-85478800-1442402582.jpg

Helmet has got the exiting hole in that precise spot while in fabrication, no doubts about. Thus, at least not a future owner's preference in my opinion, possibly a wrong measurement while in manufacturing (do not know the exact process' steps).

just, more than forty pics observed of HGU-55/P in their original form (thus excluding the 'Combat Edges' and other similar modifications) all show the hole in a different spot - much toward front (and lower) than in mine.

But not a problem, just a lately curiosity. Thanks.

I did the google thing too and saw a few Navy 55Ps with the wire loom hole farther towards the nape screw...but only two or three..and none that close...I do not know if these are hand drilled in the factory..or computer aided...most likely hand drilled from a mold mark..maybe the mark was off on this run?..maybe no mold marks for the wire loom?....

either way it does look factory if there are no repair holes from a factory drilled hole...maybe an oops that slipped through the QA process...cant see it hurting anything unless the com cord from the mask was too short...

To be honest my first thought was the combat edge bladder hole...but that is way too big and farther up on the helmet

northcoastaero

What is the date of mfr of the helmet? Date could be located behind the right ear cup on the inner helmet shell. I have heard of a lighter weight HGU-55/P shell variant for use with the CE bladder. Maybe the cable exits in a different spot to make more room for the CE connector? Just a guess.

Thanks guys,

not a CE shell absolutely - it's 100% original with no repairs/modifications, moreover in a CE shell the exiting hole is indeed MUCH more towards the front and bladder's air hose is large and MUCH more up.

I guess just a slightly off-side drilling. Will look for the mfg. date.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1984-dated HGU-55 has the comm wire exiting in nearly the same place -- maybe 1/2-inch further forward and 1/2-lower than yours. As with yours, this is the factory drilled hole. Never noticed it before.

Thanks Ftr Plt.

Yes at this point, just one of who knows how many slight variations about these very minor details.