A WWII uniform a day keeps the doctor away

jguy1986

Thanks, LF! Great to know. There's some Japanese writing on it. I doubt it'll say one place or another, but it's still an interesting set of souvenir casings, whether from Iwo Jima or Hiroshima.

• 4 weeks later...

This jacket is quickly becoming a top contender for my favorite of the bunch. I had been searching high and low over the past couple of years for an identified uniform from a veteran of Operation Torch. When I picked this one up, I knew there was a chance based on his two and a half years overseas, and lucky ol' me, his discharge confirms his job as a field lineman with Battery A of the 26th Field Artillery Battalion, from Algeria - French Morocco all the way through to the Central Europe campaign.

Apart from the DUI on the cap, all other insignia were stripped off before I acquired it. Strangely, the badge on the cap is a German-made DUI for the 84th Field Artillery, another of the 9th Division's artillery units, but I have a feeling this is one of those "anything is possible" moments that WWII uniform collectors are so familiar with (and it's been on there for a long time). The Belgian fourragère was technically awarded to the unit after he was discharged, but I think this vet has earned a little bit of flair in remembering his service. I thoroughly enjoy taking these jackets which have been robbed of their history, researching them, and restoring them to a respectable state that tells the story of WWII as these jackets do so well.

It might not be anything super fancy to some, but it's an example from someone who landed on the beaches of North Africa in Operation Torch, helped to hammer the Falaise Gap, survived the horrors of the Hürtgen Forrest, and finished the war in the heart of Germany. I'm quite glad to have checked this off my collecting bucket-list.

-- Jon

post-112103-0-06884000-1445732245.jpg