Question Vietnam Era American Optical Aviator Glasses

platavato

Hi everyone. Every once in a while I run across a pair of these American Optical aviators. Occasionally they have this slit cut in the temples, same (or nearly) place same type of cut and I assume it is intentional. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why this slice would be set into the temples of these glasses. Thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply.

post-160249-0-34434400-1442274063.jpg

Even though I was in the surface Navy in VN, I wore a pair. I think that they were to make it easier to customize the shape of the temples around your head without cracking the plastic. Picture is from capsule recovery training for the Apollo 13 recovery mission. (No, we didn't get it).

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-04243200-1442275105.jpg

I don't believe it is intentional.

I think the plastic cracks after it becomes brittle with age. Is the crack where the temples begin to bend? I'm thinking it might be.

It is about half way between where it starts to bend and the tip. I didn't think it was a crack as it looks like it is done with some precision and the ones I have seen have been on the same side, in the same spot. I thought maybe to hold something there. Figured maybe someone would see this post who had done this at that time. But, maybe just a coincidence. Thanks for the replies, I will continue the search. All replies/thoughts are appreciated.

I think they are stress cracks from trying to form a bend....need to find an unworn set from the VN era to confirm...the same style AO issue glasses in the 80's did not have a crack/cut....