"Miles" of Silk Framed by Bullion- Bullion wing examples

mtnman

AAF_Collection

Another British made wing, this is the unofficial Radio operators wing on the coat of T/Sgt. Dale Robinson, B-17 radio man with the 612th Bomb Sqn, 401st Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. I don't have the uniform here yet, but it's in safe hands (thanks Jean!).

post-61896-0-67581900-1444299529.jpg

AAF_Collection

Matt...I hadn't seen your Bombardier before I posted mine. They look to be of very similar design?

They certainly are very similar Ian, I wonder where they were made as IMO yours look U.S. made, so I wonder whether my set are simply well work examples of the same?. Bullion wings are certainly an area which needs more research.

Matt.

WOW!!! Rimmer, I must say that the collection you have amassed of bullion, named uniforms is just exquisite and I respect so much the fact that you have taken the time to learn and to maintain the Flyers' names, just superior collecting my fellow preservationist historian! Please accept my gratitude for your sharing with us these splendid examples of some of the most beautiful and historically significant wings, set in the context of the flyer and the specific history of his Air Force, Group and Squadron.... Blessings in your continued excellence in collecting....

Mel

Two recent additions, top a well worn and rather crude Brit made aircrew wing, and bottom a possible CBI made aircrew.

Matt,

Thank you for making an excellent thread even better with your nice assortment of very scarce bullion examples. I'm especially drawn to your unauthorized Aerial Gunner wing on combat blue background with Gwendyr hallmark (frame #46).

Here's an unauthorized Radio Operator wing with the identical strange diagonal line across the shoulders as seen in your Aircrew wing. Because of that unique bullion design, I suspect these two wings may have been produced in the same shop somewhere in India during WWII?

CBI made aircrew wing1.JPG

CBI Radioman.JPG

I wanted to get this one in here to. I had posted pics of it on another thread but they did not show the wings color correctly. I took some more pictures with the proper settings on my camera and now you can see the gold bullion that this liaison wing is created with. It is one of my favorite bullion wings by far because of the density of the bullion and the sheer artistic design of the wing.

post-76516-0-67717500-1444325438.jpg

AAF_Collection

Mel, Rusty, many thanks indeed for your kind comments about the wings I posted. Rusty I agree your Radio Operator wing must have been made by the same person or shop as my aircrew!.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

Here's another CBI made aircrew, this is on the coat of Pvt. Jesse W. Tennison, a C-47 radio operator with the 1328 AAF Base Unit stationed at Assam.

post-61896-0-36015200-1444567180.jpg

AAF_Collection

A British made Bombardier's wing on the Ike jacket of 1st Lt. Manuel Perry who flew on B-24's with the 787th Bomb Sqn, 466th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force.

post-61896-0-93392000-1444567380.jpg

WWII B-24 (and other aircraft) Pilot, Robert P. Bartl's Combat Crew Blue, backed Bullion Wing 8th Air Force 453rd Bomb Group 735th Bomb Squadron Crew #617, flew 13 missions, some of which were history makers before the war ended.....

post-76516-0-24401400-1444708484.jpg

INCREDIBLE, SOLID design with about a 1/2 inch depth or thickness from center of shield to rear of wing...the finest bullion WWII wing I have ever experienced in a tactile sence as well as aesthetically ....

post-76516-0-27067800-1444708625.jpg

If anyone has bullion wings from the medical officers such as Flight Surgeon or Flight Nurse...PLEASE post for our reference and enjoyment!! Also, any Sr Pilot or Command Pilot would be very helpful and appreciated! I have a Sr. Pilot coming up shortly.

Greetings gentlemen and lady collectors! Just wanted to share with you an addition to the bullion wings thread. This is a World War II senior pilot wing set on an olive green backing and removed from the uniform. This wing is unique in that I have never seen the fletching divided by a series of spiral fletching bullion in the form of a flat wire approximately 1 or 2 mm wide spiraled around thread and set in place to divide the fletching into a "feathered" look. Enjoy!! And Blessings in your Collecting as Always!

post-76516-0-39165300-1445631483.jpg