MAX SHOW - Monroeville, PA October 2 & 3: Official Schedule

Here's a photo of Hall A, the main room. The show was bigger than ever with Hall C being opened to full capacity. The show was also less Third Reich focused with far more militaria from other nations and eras. I like the new direction. The large US flag reflects that point. Too bad OVMS has literally max'd out the capacity of the Movroeville Convention Center.

post-105245-0-12344200-1443791537.jpg

Here’s an ID’d 422nd Infantry Regiment liner offered for sale by fellow USMF member USMC-RECON0321. This was his first appearance at the MAX Show as a dealer. How often do you see one of these liners that’s real? It has green A washers, but about half the webbing is gone. The vet was a SSM recipient. The liner came with a studio portrait dated 1948 and an SSI.

post-105245-0-67526900-1443793045.jpg

Great photos and thanks for posting. Looking forward to anybody else who will share with the rest us.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Tarbridge,

It was very nice to meet you. You had a great display of medals and various other military items for sale. Thanks again for your help and look forward to seeing you at Louisville.

Knucks7

Greg

Greg,

It was nice to meeting you...Good luck with the rest of the show.

Robert

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for posting the show pics with more US Militaria at the MAX this year:

1. What was size of the public crowd at this years show?

2. Can anyone comment on the level of dealer to collector transactions this year?

3. Any price trends in US WWII militaria at the show?

4. Based on a post above if this venue is already at table capacity will the MAX move after the hall lease expires?

Too bad I wasn't able to attend yesterday, as I didn't want to be stuck into the storm by Joaquin.

But when I look at it right now, it seemz to be all over.. What a bugger, guess I have to come back next year!

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

26th Infantry "Yankee" Division

Army Nurse Corps

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA) to ETO men

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA)

KIA Purple Hearts specific men

My personal website about the 26th Infantry Division:

More photos from today....despite the rain a fun show to attend. Not crowded, easy to move about and some interesting things to be found.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for posting the show pics with more US Militaria at the MAX this year:

1. What was size of the public crowd at this years show?

2. Can anyone comment on the level of dealer to collector transactions this year?

3. Any price trends in US WWII militaria at the show?

4. Based on a post above if this venue is already at table capacity will the MAX move after the hall lease expires?

This was my first time to this particular show after being a regular SOS attendee, so here are my opinions to answer your questions.

1. The public crowd was not as I expected. At times I wondered if it was just the dealers walking the show (I was only there during public hours, so that's bad). This was a topic of conversation from a lot of dealers I spoke to, and some were unsure if it was worth coming back in the future due to the low turnout.

2. There were a lot of dealer - dealer transactions going on. I also saw some dealer - collector ones. With only a couple exceptions, everything I bought was pre-arranged prior to going. One issue that I saw frequently was a table filled with items, and no dealer or helper in sight. One table in particular had two groups totaling over $2,400 that I was prepared to buy on the spot. I returned to the table six times over the two days and never saw the dealer, anyone near the table, a card, number, etc. So his loss I guess...

3. Caveat to this: I am a collector/dealer and understand the need to make money, as well as frustrations of setting up at a large show, so this is NOT a dealer bashing. That being said... I was honestly surprised, and somewhat frustrated, with the overall prices at the show. There were dealers who like to actually sell things at reasonable prices, and are great to work with, and there were a lot more who were content asking high retail (or higher) for items. There were items at the show that have been at every SOS I have attended since I started in 2007. I get nervous when I see a dealer with a TON of like items (i.e. Dozens of riker mounts filled with like items, stacked on top of each other with no prices in sight). I gave one such dealer a chance as I was looking for three common rank insignias. He offered me a "deal" at four times retail for the three. I left and found three for the common price as planned. So, I am unsure how some dealers even make money at their asking prices and to me, it is frustrating seeing the same overpriced inventory show to show. I discussed this with probably a half dozen other collectors/dealers who all saw the same thing. I could go on about this, but you get the idea...

4. The last OVMS newsletter mentioned looking into a new location on the East Coast for MAX after 2016, and it was taking suggestions.

I hope this helps! I am glad I went, and would go again as a buyer. I still had a great time, got some great items, and saw good friends.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Just got back.....and was very satisfied with the show. A good mix of stuff....sold well....bought some new toys.....can't complain. I saw a respectable quantity of groups for sale....even a decent quantity of imperial German....which I also have an appreciation for.

Things were a bit slower on Saturday...but it was also raining outside for most of the morning....still ended up a decent day.

I'm looking forward to next year.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

My take on the MAX...I have attended approximately 28 of the 31 MAX shows.The OVMS under their stewardship already increased table sales by 300.It was a full house.That reminds me of the old Baltimore MAX days.So we start with 993 tables of Militaria...you are attending a venue designed for our culture.I do not see why this is ever a negative.Attend a 1000 table Militaria show that has the kinds of things we like or a Gun Show that has 5...10...20...or even 50 tables of Militaria. I will take the 1000 table show any day.

My definition of a Customer. ..the person standing on the opposite side of my table paying me for the merchandise I have for sale.I could never tell after getting paid which money orginially came from dealers or collectors.

The crowd... consistent. ..and they were spending money.

I had a great show...the selling was super and the buying was fantastic.

Plenty of US items to be had...the place was chock full.

I left the MAX at 4:23pm and rolled in my driveway at 3:11am...another one in the books.

rps20151004_033038.jpg

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I went Friday from about 9-2. It took about 3 hours to do one lap through the tables if you only stopped occasionally to pick stuff up. Just browsing all the different stuff has become what I like best now that I buy less stuff, and you'll never get bored when there's 1000 tables, so that's great.

I didn't see a ton of money changing hands, but I did talk to one dealer I always chat with and he said Thursday was brisk.

I picked up a sick AAF uniform jacket from fellow forumeer MAW, who always has a great assortment of cool stuff. As an AAF guy, there seemed to be a lot less of it than at the SOS. I can't complain, though.

Great show and plenty of US stuff for sure...saw some incredible items like a $15K M2 and Ridgeways overalls...bought a few things but wasnt feeling well so only went on Friday.....also saw some great forum members taboot!......mike

post-350-0-92619300-1443984995.jpg

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

The first time attending a show as a dealer, just for fun... Indeed a well organized and satisfied show. Sold most stuff on my table and purchased some nice VN era patches as well. Looking forward to the next year.

My table on the show

post-155044-0-92344400-1443990112.jpg

Wild & Wonderful!

Wasn't there this year but set up at a majority of the shows.

From what I gather from this read is that attendance was low ?

Anyone know the door count ?

If this is true it was most likely due to the weather.

When I set up there Thursday was always the best sales day and the majority of sales went to those who came from Europe and east.

The majority of them were dealers and most of my US buyers were dealers too.

Friday and Saturday were always very slow.

Most of the time I was alone so I didn't have much time to look around.

Sounds like I missed some fun.

donation2013.gif

My impression of the show was mixed. There were a few deals to be found, but you really had to work to find them. Lots of "ok" items that were completely overpriced.

As for foreign items, I was very surprised to see the number of fake items being presented as originals.

And I was very sorry to see the presence of "shark dealers", the jerks looking to rip off anyone looking to sell. I had just bought a few items and every so often I would get called over by a dealer who would ask me if I was looking to sell it, tell me what was wrong with it and get some low ball offer. I get that dealers "have" to make a profit, but do they have to make a killing on every transaction? To me, I believe these are the jerks that ruin the hobby. Thankfully, there were not very many of these sharks. Most of the dealers I met were decent people and I made some good connections.

As a "first timer' these were my impressions of the show.

I showed up Thursday morning with a car full of militaria, and the improbable hope of getting a table. The staff at the front desk were very polite and called Greg from OMVS over to see if anything was left. Although I could tell he was busy, Greg made time to find a cancelled table for me and then made sure that I got the welcome packet and answered my questions. The time and service was enough to make me join OMVS on the spot.

I ended up with a table in the "B" wing of the show. The dealers on each side of me were great. One was a Third Reich dealer and the other SF Vietnam. My own items were mostly WW2 USMC items.

In any event, here's the breakdown from my viewpoint:

Good:

-PLENTY of US items. Found a few nice WW1 items I'd been looking for.

-Helpful OMVS staff

-Good sales

-Met some forum members, put some faces to names.

Not so good:

-B wing had the heat on...we were sweating pretty good. Rest of the center seemed pretty comfortable.

-There was limited parking for customers in the convention center. We dealers took up a lot of the available parking and I heard from several customers that they had trouble parking. I also heard some cars were towed when they parked at the Toys R Us next store.

-The orders not to break down before 4pm "or risk losing tables at the MAX, as well as any SOS, tables came across as a bit heavy handed. Many of the dealers grumbled each time this was announced.

Lastly, I think that most of my customers were fellow dealers so I think I sold things at reasonable prices so they can make a little something when they resale. Like Robert said, it's a win-win. That said, I do wonder if having the convention in another city like Northern VA/DC/MD might pull in more customers and create more volume in terms of purchases. I live and work in this area and it's like the recession never hit.

Looking forward to SoS....

This was the first time I attended this show and I thought it was an overall success despite the foot traffic being noticeably slower on Saturday. I came home with less items than I brought and more money than I started with and was able to add some quality additions to my collection. Also got meet some old faces and a few new ones as well. The parking was a little difficult, but if you got there early enough it wasn't a problem. There were a lot of items I would like to have purchased both U.S. and foreign but money doesn't grow on trees (at least for me it doesn't). Most of all I think the show was a great interim show until the SoS. We will be back next year for sure.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

This was my 3rd show attended at Monroeville and it had by far the greatest number of paying collectors/attendees I have ever seen. I never attended consecutive shows in PA but hit one before the move to Charlotte, the first one after Indy, and then this year. This year was the ONLY one that I had to wait in line to get in. The other 2 years, I walked right up and paid admission and walked right in. This year there actually was a line of collectors waiting for the hall to open on Friday. I will attribute this to the fact that OVMS now runs this show. The reason I say that is I heard a number of folks talking about that during the show. Had OVMS not taken over, I would have stayed home too.

General observations (Friday):

The hall layout seemed to work well for the shoppers. It was easy to get around and easy to navigate the hall.

There were a lot of fresh faces: dealers and attendees. It was nice to see a bunch of forum members and SOS attendees.

Sellers: Depended on where you shopped as some had crazy prices, but most were willing to deal.

Good mix of US, German, and Japanese items. Lots of WWI coming out of the attic it seems.

Not a lot of WWI USMC uniforms/helmets. (I attribute that to Hessian and Bay State's attendance on Thursday!)

Most of the US sellers I spoke to had better than expected sales. All reported that they thought the show had better traffic than the last 2.

Good deals were there to be had if the seller was at the table and you made reasonable offers.

Lots of seller and attendee discussion about the location of the show. Most seem to think that Monroeville has run its course and were hoping for a new site for the show. Lots of speculation and suggestions. I don't know if it was just nostalgia but heard Baltimore come up several times as well as the DC area.

Not a lot of representation from foreign buyers and West Coast of the US attendance was almost non-existent.

Overall, I had a great time and was happy to see some new life introduced to the MAX. I don't envy OVMS as I think they have a lot of hard decisions to make about the show in the next two years but I am sure that they can get this done and done right. Will it please everyone, no, but with their history and resume, I am positive that the MAX can live on and grow.

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

As a "first timer' these were my impressions of the show.

I showed up Thursday morning with a car full of militaria, and the improbable hope of getting a table. The staff at the front desk were very polite and called Greg from OMVS over to see if anything was left. Although I could tell he was busy, Greg made time to find a cancelled table for me and then made sure that I got the welcome packet and answered my questions. The time and service was enough to make me join OMVS on the spot.

I ended up with a table in the "B" wing of the show. The dealers on each side of me were great. One was a Third Reich dealer and the other SF Vietnam. My own items were mostly WW2 USMC items.

In any event, here's the breakdown from my viewpoint:

Good:

-PLENTY of US items. Found a few nice WW1 items I'd been looking for.

-Helpful OMVS staff

-Good sales

-Met some forum members, put some faces to names.

Not so good:

-B wing had the heat on...we were sweating pretty good. Rest of the center seemed pretty comfortable.

-There was limited parking for customers in the convention center. We dealers took up a lot of the available parking and I heard from several customers that they had trouble parking. I also heard some cars were towed when they parked at the Toys R Us next store.

-The orders not to break down before 4pm "or risk losing tables at the MAX, as well as any SOS, tables came across as a bit heavy handed. Many of the dealers grumbled each time this was announced.

Lastly, I think that most of my customers were fellow dealers so I think I sold things at reasonable prices so they can make a little something when they resale. Like Robert said, it's a win-win. That said, I do wonder if having the convention in another city like Northern VA/DC/MD might pull in more customers and create more volume in terms of purchases. I live and work in this area and it's like the recession never hit.

Looking forward to SoS....

Wait... I did sell Nam stuff on show, my neighbor did do Third Reich, and my another neighbor did show up late on Thursday morning... Just a little bit curious, if your neighbor who did the SF Vietnam was an Asian guy, it means your table was just behind me?

Wild & Wonderful!

Thanks for all the input and thoughts on the show. Although I did not attend this year, it was being partially planned out for me the last couple weeks, but a 3.5 month old and a lack of spending money shut the door on the 4.5 hour trip for me. I do hope it stays close (or comes closer haha) as I really would like to attend next year. I think overall, there are very few shows that just focus on our militaria collecting, esp of this size....so it's deifnitely something to check out.

506th Fighter Group Historian

Interested in all items relating to the 7th AAF, especially those of the VLR P-51 Pilots of the 15th, 21st, and 506th Fighter Groups.

donation2016.gif