WW2 B-26 Marauder "Big Time Operator"

MWalsh

I recently came into a small number of WW2 era photo negatives. I knew when I bought them that they contained images of what I believed to be a B-26 Marauder.

I sent them in and had the negatives imaged to a DVD. What I got is below. I will start out with the pics of the soldier who appears to be the subject of the photos. I don'[t know for sure who he is, but do have a name I will explre further down the road.

It is hard to tell from the pictures what the story behind this aircraft is. Its parked on the edge of what appears to be a large barracks area, which is a bit odd in that I would not have anyticipated it being that close to barracks, instead expecting to see more of a flight line background. With that said, I am unsure if it is a display aircraft, there for a specific open house type event, boot camp graduation, etc. The wheel chocks seem a bit odd, the front wheel is turned, the bomb bay doors appear to be hanging open, a ladder is attached to the rear of the aircraft, I see tie downs, and the front nose glass almost seems or appears to be poorly fitted? Also, the aircraft could be quite weather worn, although I am unsure if that is the case or an artifact of the pictures of the era. The aircraft has the buzz number 10 on it quite prominently, then the word OPERATOR is clear, less clear are the words BIG TIME.

Obviously the soldiers are familair enough with the to get inside and on it, and have their pics taken. For slick sleeve privates that might have been a bold bunch of things to do, unless as noted it was allowed as part of an open house or graduation or something, or they perhaps were B-26 maintainers. I dunno.

Anyway, I thought the B-26 pics were interesting enough to post.

post-440-0-23513400-1442195766.jpg

I just noticed something in the background of post #7, which is the pic of the nose of Big Time Operator, with the male and female in civvies with their soldier.

In the background underneath the glass nose, is that possibly a B-24?