Help Identifying some Navy Ratings

Dakota

Recently I tried my hand at identifying some ratings that I had in my collection but I wasn't overall sure that I had identified them so I figured I'd turn to those with more experience in this field

(L-R, Top-Bottom):

Petty Officer 3rd Class Radioman, Petty Officer 2nd Class Electrician's Mate,

Aviation Boatswain's Mate, Aviation Electrician's Mate, Aviation Metal Smith(I seen numerous specialties for this rating), Aviation Storekeeper,

Aviation Metal Smith, Aviation Fire Control Technician, Air Traffic Controller, and Missile Technician

Thanks

D

post-34988-0-26241000-1442186579.png

Salvage Sailor

Bingo!

All good calls although your EM2 looks like it was an EM3. We would cut and fold the extra chevron under our rates.

Bingo!

All good calls although your EM2 looks like it was an EM3. We would cut and fold the extra chevron under our rates.

Thanks for the confirmation! I did notice when I got the patch that it looked like PO2 but then I realized it was just folded. Was this commonly done?

D

Salvage Sailor

Yes indeed,

When we purchased the rates from Vanguard or whoever, they were all E-6. We would trim the chevrons off and hem the rate or just make a V shaped cut at the bottom and fold the chevrons underneath. There's a thread around here that Steve and others talked at length about this and we also posted examples.

Yes indeed,

When we purchased the rates from Vanguard or whoever, they were all E-6. We would trim the chevrons off and hem the rate or just make a V shaped cut at the bottom and fold the chevrons underneath. There's a thread around here that Steve and others talked at length about this and we also posted examples.

Ok, that makes sense then. I've heard of Officers coloring their 2nd Lieutenant Bars Silver so they didn't have to purchase new ones.

I'll try to find that thread later.

Thanks

D