Found this is an estate cleanout and have no idea what it is

jdmyprez_deo_vindice

jdmyprez_deo_vindice

Just recently bought an estate of a veteran and it had quite a few relics in storage. Included was a blackned leather pouch with Japanese writing on the raw hide side of the strap and on the under side of the flap. Along with the writing someon wrote "No. 23" over an impression in the leather that looks to be impressed Japanese characters. No markings that I can find outside of that. It is long measuring roughly 17 1/4" long when close. No idea what it was made for. At first glance I thought it was a holster of some sort but looking at more I am just not sure. Anyone have any idea?post-8166-0-14268600-1442182656.jpgpost-8166-0-09484100-1442182709.jpg

peppersteak122

Maybe I can contribute something about the language. The item might be a Japanese, but the writing is in Chinese. Japanese culture was influenced by Chinese a couple thousand years ago. So you would see Chinese character in Japanese language.

Anyway, the marking "東京營林局" means the "Tokyo Department of Forest Management".

"東京" = Tokyo

"營" = Business, Manage

"林" = Wood, Forest

"局" = Department

According to Wikipedia, "營林局" was the old name of the forest department. It is replaced by "森林管理局". Basically the same function, just a different name.

I am not exactly sure what's the holster for? Firearms? Tools? But I am hoping the translation may shed some light.

Edit: Feel free to copy and paste "東京營林局" in Google. You may find what you need?

peppersteak122

I found even more information about that department. According to a Japanese website, the "營林局" was started in 1924, and it was transformed into "森林管理局" in 1999.

Sorry, I know it may not answer your question, but hey, we all learning something new. https://kotobank.jp/word/%E5%96%B6%E6%9E%97%E5%B1%80-443478

As this has not been connected as an actual bring-back, it seems to me more to fall in the realm of foreign militaria, outside the realms of the Spoils of War forum. Feel free to PM me if you can establish that it was a bring back, until then, the topic is closed