USNR - U.S. Naval Reserve - on land, sea and air

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Air Wing 20 and the Minneapolis patch are the only iron-on patches. I need an original VP-814 patch from the 60's. My dad was in that squadron and I want to add it to his grouping that I have.

JPM59.jpg

Very cool stuff. I remember buying stuff from KEN NOLAN's. I think they made the Vietnam era iron-on patches?

NAVY AIR TRANSPORT the Naval Air Reserve VR Squadrons
The post-WW-II Naval Air Reserve was organized 1 July 1946 with R4D VR mini-squadrons at some 25 of the over 50 initial Naval Air Reserve training sites. These VR aircraft were assigned to and maintained primarily by station active duty personnel with reservists training and flying some missions on the week-ends. With the transition of fleet VR squadrons to the R6Ds (C-118s) the Naval Air Reserve squadrons transitioned from R4Ds to R5Ds (C-54s) in the 1950s. With the termination of Navy MATS participation, C-118s became available and were assigned to the Naval Air Reserve starting in 1964.

VR-30 established in 1966 to fly COD Operations

NAVAL RESERVE VR 30 001.jpg

NAVAL RESERVE VR 30 002.jpg

VRC-40 The Rawhides

Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 40 (VRC-40) was commissioned on 1 July 1960 and is tasked with providing Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD) services to the U.S. Navy's Second, Fifth, and Sixth Fleets. VRC-40, homeported at Naval Station, Norfolk, Virginia (USA), operates the Grumman C-2A Greyhound and reports to Commander, Airborne Early Warning Wing, U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

NAVAL RESERVE VRC 40 001.jpg

NAVAL RESERVE VRC 40 002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...