Opinions on Service Pilot Wings

dustymedals

Forum members, I would like opinions on these Service Pilot wings. They measure just over 3 inches wide. The reverse side has no maker mark but does have an impressed STERLING hallmark. The pin swings open 180 degrees. They look like the Amcraft style to me. Thanks in advance for any help..........dustymedals

post-3721-1218453040.jpg

View of the reverse side of Service Pilot wings showing pin and sterling hallmark.

No good. IMHO. They more than likely aren't even sterling silver. Notice the smashed detail on the front of the wings behind the area where the sterling mark is--that is because when they added the sterling mark, they damaged the front be smashing it against the support. I would guess it is some sort of cheap pot metal.

These look like the kind of cheap wings you can get from surplus/mail order stores for wearing on motorcycle jackets etc. You can probably bend them in half with just a little pressure from your hands?

I think someone took one of those wings, added a more vintage pin and the added the sterling mark to fool try to some one into thinking they were real. Sorry

Patrick

I have seen a few of this type, I was told they were made by someone out of New York in the 1970's ( sorry can't remember the name)