Paratrooper first aid pouch

Hunter Whittaker

Hunter Whittaker

I found this pouch today for $4! It looks original to me but I'd like to get others opinions on it. Also what is the value? Thanks!post-157121-0-27472100-1442105907.jpgpost-157121-0-02734500-1442105918.jpg

Just remember that it's a first aid pouch. To claim it is a Paratrooper first aid pouch is misleading as you'd find those on the parachutes of most pilots and aircrew. Great find, but no way to know where it originated or what it might have been hooked to.

Figured I'd better show an example. Cy Coenen of the 370th FG in his P38J.

post-68384-0-63595300-1442113692.jpg

Hunter Whittaker

Just remember that it's a first aid pouch. To claim it is a Paratrooper first aid pouch is misleading as you'd find those on the parachutes of most pilots and aircrew. Great find, but no way to know where it originated or what it might have been hooked to.

Figured I'd better show an example. Cy Coenen of the 370th FG in his P38J.

I see what you mean I wasn't trying to come across as miss leading I didn't know these were issued to soldiers other than paratroopers. I just know that these are commonly associated with them and a lot of times referred to as paratrooper first aid pouches. Thanks for the info I appreciate it! Do you know the typical value of these pouches?

There are some old topics on the forum on the originals and copies.

Typically there is black dots on the edges where the straps were sewn.These dots were guides to align the straps when sewn.Also the font of the letters are compared

What a great buy! At $4, a ninja wouldn't be fast enough to stop me! I'd buy it first, examine it later!

I really hope it's legit...that would put this high on my list of "Deals of the Century"!

Really nice find. It looks good to me, although I am no expert. But it certainly looks right to me. I would take Doylers advice & look up the past topics on these. I bought one earlier this year, and it took me a few days, a few old topics, and a jewelers loupe before I felt 100% certain that it was the real deal.

Hunter Whittaker

I hope it's the real deal! It doesn't seem to have the black dotted lines though. I'm planning on taking it to my friend Robins to compare it to a few originals that he has. Thanks for all of the input and information everyone it is greatly appreciated.

Well I would call it a wobbler. Its obviously been opened and resealed by sewing. The reinforcement strip is an interesting touch though. The fakes are getting better and better. As far as the dots go they have been adding them to reproductions for years so that is not a guarantee either. You might check it under a blacklight and see if the ink or thread glows. Even if you opened it if it had rock solid original contents that is still not a guarantee either as someone could have opened a repro pouch and added original contents and resewn it.

Hunter Whittaker

Well I would call it a wobbler. Its obviously been opened and resealed by sewing. The reinforcement strip is an interesting touch though. The fakes are getting better and better. As far as the dots go they have been adding them to reproductions for years so that is not a guarantee either. You might check it under a blacklight and see if the ink or thread glows. Even if you opened it if it had rock solid original contents that is still not a guarantee either as someone could have opened a repro pouch and added original contents and resewn it.

I agree! I will have to try the black light method

It has definitely been opened and then resealed but either way a good original example, and what a price! Congratulations on a steal of a bargain with that one.

Oh, and for the record, its official nomenclature is: Parachute First-Aid Packet.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hunter Whittaker

It has definitely been opened and then resealed but either way a good original example, and what a price! Congratulations on a steal of a bargain with that one.

Oh, and for the record, its official nomenclature is: Parachute First-Aid Packet.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

If you were to open a kit at the tear point I don't believe there would be enough fabric left to sew it up if you were to replace the original contents. So I can't see these being reused. I believe the original kits were heat sealed somehow to maintain the water resistance and not sewn at the end. I have never tried (and never will) to open a kit by carefully pulling apart the end. It might be possible. I have seen kits opened that way that were reported to be original. But to me an opened kit that is not torn is a "watch out" . Martyn Baitens (Sorry if mispelled) wrote a terrific forum article some years back on these. The only problem being that since then the fakers could well have corrected their errors and made the fakes even better now. I have not taken the time to check personally though to confirm that.

If you were to open a kit at the tear point I don't believe there would be enough fabric left to sew it up if you were to replace the original contents. So I can't see these being reused. I believe the original kits were heat sealed somehow to maintain the water resistance and not sewn at the end. I have never tried (and never will) to open a kit by carefully pulling apart the end. It might be possible. I have seen kits opened that way that were reported to be original. But to me an opened kit that is not torn is a "watch out" . Martyn Baitens (Sorry if mispelled) wrote a terrific forum article some years back on these. The only problem being that since then the fakers could well have corrected their errors and made the fakes even better now. I have not taken the time to check personally though to confirm that.

Looking at the end it appears a different or sepereate piece of material was used to run over the end and sewn.Looks like a strip of sepreate material was folded over the edge then sewn to seal shut the pouch