APH-6 helmet question

TLeo

Does anyone have knowledge of when, or even if, the PRU-36 dual visor assembly might have been used on the aph-6 flight helmets? I was offered a aph6 helmet from an old A6 Intruder squadron that has the pru36 instead of the "rams horn" type normally seen on them and while it looks to have been on it a long time and legit, I'm not aware of it being used unless maybe a later rigger/crew modification.??? The entire helmet had reflective tape so it was in use after that regulation came out requiring that full coverage.

Sounds like it might be a VA-75 helmet from the first deployment

of the Intruder. Do you have photo(s)?

I can get a photo to post later today and if I have ID'd it correctly from the markings it is actually from VA-145.

I saw a side actuated dual visor APH-6 series for sale at one time. It had reflective tape on it without a squadron design. Probably from the 1970s?

I've been doing lots of "googling" and I think it is likely a squadron mod to the older helmet. One article I found mentioned that the Navy did begin using them for a time on older helmets.Thanks.

northcoastaero

I have noticed on 1975 dated Sierra APH-6D helmets that there are two indentations on each side underneath the single visor tracks for drilling and adding the side actuated dual visor assy. These four indentations were probably introduced between 1972-1975. I do agree with you that these dual visor assy's were most likely a modification to the APH-6C and APH-6D flight helmets and to APH-6 series helmets that were upgraded to the APH-6C and APH-6D.