M1918 Grenade Carrier

PugMaster

Hello peoples who know stuff about things! I have a WW1 grenade vest, and I'm wanting to wear it (cause why not). It has huge like, 4-6ft straps on each side so I know there is a specific way to tie them. Also everything in the military has a specific way to be done. But I don't know how it needs to be tied. I've seen images of it being worn, but only from the front or side, and the only image I've seen from behind is obscure. I'm wondering if any you have/know of a manual of some kind, or a non-obscured photo of the back of this vest being worn. I've googled as hard as I can but haven't found anything. I'd love to know if you guys have anything.

I also apologize if I'm in the wrong thread, I'm new to this forum.

TL;DR anyone know how to tie a WW1 Military Grenade Vest?

image.png

world war I nerd

I believe that the U.S. 'Grenade Vest' was inspired by a similar article of equipment used by the British Army during WW I to carry their Mills Bombs. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the British referred to their grenade carrier as a 'Grenade Apron'.

The British 'Grenade Apron' is at left and the U.S. 'Grenade Vest' is to its right. I don't have any documentation to back this up, but I believe that he vest or apron was intended to be worn on the chest as shown in these two photos. The vest's upper and larger strap passed behind the neck, while the two smaller straps attached to the vest's sides were tied together in back, much like the strings of an apron.

post-5143-0-79378000-1442057741.jpg

world war I nerd

It's obvious by the Grenade Vest's strap arrangement that it was designed to be worn on the front of the body - one behind the neck and two behind the back.

post-5143-0-31562300-1442057932.jpg

world war I nerd

Unfortunately, when the Grenade Vest was worn on the front of the body as designed, it interfered with the gasmask when it was worn in the 'ready' or 'alert' position, also on the front of the body. This could be why so few of the vests show up in period photographs.

However, in the only two period photos that I've ever seen of the Grenade Vest in use, both were worn on the left hip, sort of slung by the primary strap from the soldier's right shoulder with the smaller side straps securing the bag to the soldiers torso.

post-5143-0-54265300-1442058382.jpg

world war I nerd

It should also be said that the Grenade Vest was designed to be worn by the 'carriers' of the rifle grenadier section not by 'hand bombers'. Therefore, each of the vest's 14 pockets were intended to carry one French Viven-Bessieres Rifle Grenade or VB Grenade.

According to the "Manual for Hand Bombers and Rifle Grenadiers", published in July 1918,

The number of grenades which can be carried by each man will be determined by the distance he has to travel, the condition of the ground and the general physique of the man. These points demand the most careful consideration, as the overloading of the men has frequently had disastrous results.

The following approximate numbers are given as a guide:

Hand Bomber Section

(a) Scouts, throwers and N.C. O.'s, each man 7 grenades

(B) carriers, each man 14 grenades

Rifle Grenadier Section

(a) Rifle grenadier, each 7 grenades

(B) Rifle grenadier carrier, each 14 grenades

All other infantrymen taking part in the

attack, each man 2 Rifle or hand grenades

Carrying parties, each man 14 grenades

No mention was made as to what the rifle grenades were to be carried in. However, a "grenade bucket" was mentioned in regard to carrying the grenades used by hand bombers.

VB Grenades, like the example shown here, were much smaller and much lighter than the offensive and defensive hand grenades carried by 'bombers'.

post-5143-0-68720500-1442058834.jpg

world war I nerd

I've no idea why one of those ridiculous emoticons showed up instead of the lowercase letter 'b' inside a pair of parenthesis, which is what I typed, and then corrected in the preview of the post???

Here is a side by side comparison of the much smaller VB Grenade and the much taller and heavier MK I American grenade.

post-5143-0-56529800-1442060481.jpg

world war I nerd

Here are four of the five most common hand bombs or grenades used by the American Doughboy during WW I.

From left to right: the French F1 Grenade - the British Grenade, Hand, No.5, Mark I or 'Mills Bomb' - the American Hand Grenade Mark I - and the American Hand Grenade Mark II.

The fifth grenade which is not shown would be the French O.F. Hand Grenade. It has an oval shaped segmented iron body and the same round topped "Bouchon" and lever as that used on the French F 1 Grenade.

post-5143-0-09485500-1442061140.jpg

world war I nerd

The only regulation grenade carrier that I'm aware of that was manufactured for the American soldier during WW I is the so called 'Grenade Bag'. I doubt that this is the 'grenade bucket' mentioned earlier in this post, but I suppose it's possible.

The grenade bag was both padded and reinforced and could be either hung from the eyelets on a pistol or cartridge belt or it could be slung from the shoulder by a removable shoulder strap, which is not present in this photo.

I've yet to see a grenade bag in a period photo, which suggests that they were not widely used, if they were used at all.

post-5143-0-28232100-1442061584.jpg

I have the drawings for two different types of Grenade Vests. the first is the "Grenade Carrier, Model of 1918, 4 inch Pockets" for carrying rifle and hand grenades. The second is "Grenade Carrier, Model of 1918, 6 inch Pockets" for carrying Offensive Grenade Mk II, Gas Grenade Mk I and Phosphorus Grenade Mk I. Production numbers for these is about 200,000 up to the end of January 1918. I do not have any numbers for how many were made after that.

I also have a drawing of the Grenade Bucket mentioned above. It is a drawstring bucket 18 inches tall and 12 inches in diameter. With a shoulder strap. No production figures for that item.

Though I have seen the Grenade Pouch or Grenade Haversack shown above, I do not have a drawing or any mention of it in the Ordnance production figures I have.

We will see what some more time at the Archives provides.

world war I nerd

Any chance of posting scans of what the 4 inch & 6 inch grenade vests look like, as well as the grenade bucket?

As far as I know, I've never seen any of these items. It would be great to see what they look like.

Also I noticed that in my post I incorrectly wrote that the grenade vest depicted had 14 pockets. It does not. It has 11 pockets ...

The contract information I have is for the contracted numbers through the end of January 1918. I'm sure the production on these contracts lasted for many months after. The ledger that I got this info from listed these as "Grenade Aprons". The Grenade Bag that was posted by World War 1 Nerd, is listed in another document of WWI contractors as "Grenade Haversack". If I ever find the drawing for it, we will know for sure what the Ordnance Department named it.

world war I nerd

jprpstak, Thanks so much for posting the drawings.

I've never seen the grenade bucket or the tall pocketed 'grenade apron' ... good stuff!

I suspect that the name 'grenade bag' was bestowed on the article of equipment shown in post no. 9 by the collecting community rather than the Ordnance Department. I'm certain that the name 'Grenade Haversack' that you mentioned, was probably its official designation as that is a name I've seen associated with almost any type of WW I era bag-like container.

In reading what types of grenades the two grenade aprons were intended to carry, I think that the short pocket apron was designed to carry "rifle grenades", as stated on the drawing. The other "hand grenades" meant to be carried in the short pockets were likely the the shorter French grenades and possibly the British mills bomb, both of which were used by the AEF before the American MK I and II grenades were developed..

According to the legend on the drawing of the tall pocket grenade apron "Offensive Grenade" was an alternate name for the American Mk II hand grenade. Therefore, it was meant to carry either the MK II Grenade (Offensive Grenade), MK I Gas Grenade, and the MK I phosphorous Grenade.

By all accounts the American made MK I Grenade, which I think was also called 'Defensive Grenade' was not very good. It was dropped as soon as the MK II Grenade was developed. That's probably why it's not listed on either of the grenade vest drawings.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only seen one photograph that shows someone wearing the grenade vest.

That photo was a yard-long of a demonstration team, taken stateside. Two men were wearing the vests on the chest.

I have never seen real evidence that they were used in France. The grenade bags were the more common option overseas........or field improvise and use a French breadbag.....

VolunteerArmoury

Unfortunately, when the Grenade Vest was worn on the front of the body as designed, it interfered with the gasmask when it was worn in the 'ready' or 'alert' position, also on the front of the body. This could be why so few of the vests show up in period photographs.

However, in the only two period photos that I've ever seen of the Grenade Vest in use, both were worn on the left hip, sort of slung by the primary strap from the soldier's right shoulder with the smaller side straps securing the bag to the soldiers torso.

Is he wearing a medic's belt as well? The pockets look a bit large for the regular cartridge belt.

Chad,

I'm not sure what you are seeing; I only see the carrier covering the belt to the point no ammunition pockets are visible.

RC